• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

General Question About 4X4

mcnamaag

NAXJA Forum User
87 Wagoneer Limited ,Auto,4.0

What is the difference in the 4x4 selections. My selector states the following

2 WD
4 LOCK
4WD
N
4 LOW

I know what 2 wheel drive, nuetral and 4 LOW mean but what is 4 LOCK?
Thanks in advance.

Don't take my word for it, and maybe someone else can correct me if they have a wagoneer, but it looks like 4WD = Full-time and 4 LOCK = Part time

As far as I know, the only 4wd options offered were 'Command-Trac' and 'Selec-Trac'. Command-Trac usually has the following...

2wd
4-hi
N
4-lo

And selec-trac has...

2wd
4-part time
4-full time
N
4-lo

The extra position would seem to indicate that it's Selec-trac, and that 4x4 would allow slippage between front and rear (4 full-time) and that 4 locked would be part-time only. (Front & rear outputs locked together, and no slippage allowed.)

It almost sounds like it might be the 229 t-case...

:confused:

get under your car and see what the silver tag on the back of your transfercase says. there will be a round silver tag about the size of a silver dollar. if you wipe it clean you will see the model number.

I have an 85 and an 88
The 85 goes
4wd hi
N
4wd low
with the 2wd to 4wd Switch behind the Gear shifter
88 goes
2wd
4wd
N
4wd LOW
Can u take a picture and post it on here? That would help

Last edited:
He has a 242 transfer case... in 87 and early 88 they had that shift naming scheme.

4WD is full time, green 4WD light on the dash comes on
4WD LOCK is part time, orange LOCK light on the dash comes on (also comes on in 4 Low)

If you don't know already, the 242 can be a little tempermental going from full to part time, easiest way is to be rolling forward (at any speed) in neutral when you shift between full time (4WD) and 2WD so that it doesn't hang in the part time (LOCK) position. If it does hang, put it back in 4WD and try again. Don't drive it around with the LOCK light on and the handle in 2WD, it's hard on the differential in the transfer case when it does finally shift. If it's being really stubborn, sometimes putting it in drive and bumping the throttle will make it shift.

Sorry for the lecture... didn't mean for it to get that long. :laugh:

Later,
Joe

Thanks all. Question well answered.

Back