• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with front end suspension

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey...so im needing some help with the front end

i currently have about 5.5 inches of lift, and 35s. i have a little bit of rubbing, nothing bad, but want to add 2 inches of lift, for looks/not rub anymore

im getting everything taken care of order by order, and im going to do it all at 1 time this summer. so far ive got a PORC sye, and tom woods DS sitting in my room. im going to buy new UCAs, need to get some other stuff straight with the tracbar/tie rod. ive seen some brackets that come with lifts, that mount the tracbar OVER the axle, but can seem to find them sold individually anywhere. with this bracket, and a pitman arm drop would this set up work. im not looking for it to drive like a BMW, as this summer its becoming a trail rig mostly anyways

thanks for the help:read:

Trim the front fenders and don't lift it. You save the money you would have spent on new springs, keep your COG where it's at, and you said it's a trail rig anyhow, right?

Check out the fender trim article in the FAQ section. I'll be trimming mine in the next few weeks.

fubar XJ said:
Trim the front fenders and don't lift it. You save the money you would have spent on new springs, keep your COG where it's at, and you said it's a trail rig anyhow, right?

Check out the fender trim article in the FAQ section. I'll be trimming mine in the next few weeks.

i could run 35's with my 4.5 lift though i run 33's. trim and trim good and proper bumptstop is the key. another 2 inches is really overkill. your angles will be off, you'll need at least drop brackets for your lca's which are expensive if not some long arms. your steering geometry is going to be all out of whack. if you have a 5.5 inch lift now, you're set. just trim and bumpstop.

wishihad1 said:
hey...so im needing some help with the front end

i currently have about 5.5 inches of lift, and 35s. i have a little bit of rubbing, nothing bad, but want to add 2 inches of lift, for looks/not rub anymore

im getting everything taken care of order by order, and im going to do it all at 1 time this summer. so far ive got a PORC sye, and tom woods DS sitting in my room. im going to buy new UCAs, need to get some other stuff straight with the tracbar/tie rod. ive seen some brackets that come with lifts, that mount the tracbar OVER the axle, but can seem to find them sold individually anywhere. with this bracket, and a pitman arm drop would this set up work. im not looking for it to drive like a BMW, as this summer its becoming a trail rig mostly anyways

thanks for the help:read:

hey man, unless you bring the drag link UP over the knuckle, you do not need to remount your track bar. if you drop your pitman arm, you also need to drop the track bar at the FRAME end a similar distance. and i would never go over 5" of lift without DB's or Longarms, so i doubt 7.5" of lift on short arms will get you to the trail very pleasantly. get some 4.88's. those 3.55's are reallyyy robbing you.

i raised my track bar because i run a WJ knuckle and had to get the trac bar and draglink parrallel(pretty close)
4ftverb.jpg

Last edited:
pic of the amount of trimming ive done. cant go any higher in rear, where the only rubbing i have occurs, as im at the pinch welds now

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4348601

pic of front stuff
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4348604

maybe i wont go up to 7.5, and i could just go up about an inch...or so, and stay around 6.5 inches??....and as for the gearing, i would love to put some 4:88s in, but the rear is about to get locked, and i seriosly doubt being locked front and rear, and having 4:88s is going to hold up long...or 4:56s because i have the chry. 8.25 rear

forgot about your chryco. rear. your tranny will THANK YOU. 3.55's and 31's suck. I hate to think about 35's, that aw4 is screeeeaaaaminng. even if you had a 4:1 the krawl ratio is weak. seriously get DB's if you go any higer as well

well. this summer i hope to be getting a DD, and im gone to VMI for most of the summer anyways. so one day when i can get my hands on a set of dana 44s, im gonna gear them 1 time, and its going to be either 5:13s, or 5:38s for if i go any bigger

7.5" on shortarms will suck on the trail

when i was on 32's with 4" of lift and longarms i could easily get on my buddies 33" tire.

He had about 5" and shortarms and he couldn't get on my 32" tire

both bfg muds and no lockers so traction was the same. ( his were actually an inch wider)

It's all geometry. When you try to climb a steep rock ledge with your front tires your axle will want to go backwards because of the steep angles, with longarms it reduces this angle and your front axle has a better chance of getting up the obstacle.

Even if you do go to 7.5" i will bet that you will rub.

A LIFT DOESN'T CHANGE HOW MUCH THE SUSPENSION COMPRESSES, IT CHANGES WHERE THE SUSPENSION SITS.

If you run a larger tire you must trim and/or BUMPSTOP

hell I'm fitting 37's on 5" of lift with no problems at all.

Back