• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Neck Ingenuity

IMG_1447Medium.jpg

Just after the first exit from Rock Creek (at Rausch Creek Offroad Park). I quit paying attention after making it out of the 'creek in one piece, and snagged the crossmember on a rock in the middle of the trail, breaking all 4 bolts that held it up. The whole drivetrain fell out the bottom of the truck.

A floor jack, two Optima batteries, some jumper cables, an e-brake spring, some 6011 welding rod, and I was back in business. Wheeled the rest of the day, drove home 180 miles, and went 3 weeks before grinding the crossmember off again and fixing it for real.

relocated the air inlet on the stock air box from the front side, next to the radiator, to the back side. This allows for an easy "stealth" snorkel hookup that finishes by going up to the firewall. You need 2 flanges, 1 hose, and some silicone. Also allows crossing the creek when it is up, by not allowing the bow wave from the front of the Jeep direct entry into the air box.
As for fixes, try Ducttape on the lower radiator hose after covering the rubbed thru spot with another piece of hose. Am still running this fix since last summer. How about cutting a soup can in half on one side, then wrapping it over the hole in the Jeeps' exhaust pipe. (2 hose clamps or a good bit of baling wire)

Last edited:
broke my main leafspring on my first offroading trip. broke right at the mount so i got a few muffler clamps and tightened em as hard as they would go (bending the shit outta the clamp) till i got home:
leaf7xu7jf.jpg

put one more on the thick part. limped it home and parked it till i got new leafs

I really wish I had taken a pic.

A friend of mine flopped his Xj in a shitty portion of a trail last summer. It was on its side in kind of a ravine and it was not at the bottom. Had 3 vehicles and no winch. And it was impossible to get a rig where his could be pulled on and uprighted. So I went back to his tow rig and got some ratchet straps. Ended up using two large ratchet straps around the b-pillar then to a strap wrapped around two large trees. Ratched one strap until it ran out of room to wrap the strap. Then set other strap, release strap with tention, repeat until slowly it was back on its wheels. Also had to run a tow strap to some trees in front of it so it didn't continue to roll backwards down the steep as hill once it got back on its wheels. It was a little scary when it finally came over onto its wheels and took the slack out of everything lol.

Moral of the story? Stay up on your rear brake adjustment, becuase when the rear joint lets go your rear wheels are no longer bieng helped out by the front brakes and backwards you go dragging the front wheels down the trail and then flopping over before reaching the bottom in the shittiest location possible.

beating on the skinny pedal one day through mud hole with a very steep end earned me a lower control arm mount ripped off the axle, 3 ratchet straps strategically placed to maintain axle position got me back to the tar. i always have a few straps stashed in the jeep!

Broken axle that was walking out, this was 1 of 2
CoyHill018.jpg

Control arm bracket ripped off unibody of grand cherokee
DSC00872.jpg

dana 30 joint let go, shafts contacted, dumped the knuckle, lower balljoint wouldnt go back in

Broke.jpg

five hours later i picked up a bolt, washer, and a large socket out of the toolbox - he drove it to the trailer...

Fix.jpg

Sold my first XJ just before Jeep Safari many years ago, threw a 2 " Budget Boost on my new XJ so my 30's would clear and headed South.

Spit an elcheapo lift block out the back in 3 pieces on an off-camber section of PSM. After doing a little head scratching and checking the gear bag, I noticed that my receiver mounted shackle adapter had the same OD as the broken block. So we jacked it up, lined up the hole with the spring centering pin and tightened up the Ubolts.......made it back to town, threw on a set of solid blocks that my buddy had at his shop and busted back out to catch our group. Many lessons learned here, haven't ever had the desire to run blocks since.

Electrical taped a metal valve stem back on. Filled the tire with air through the broken part, taped it one then finished the trail(one way out no turn aorunds) then repeated and drove 30mile sback to town to get it fixed.

im sure alot of people already know this trick but just incase somone hasnt

busted rear u joint straps and snapped off the little tabs on the yoke that keep the u joint from moving side to side so i couldnt fix it on the trail, pulled the rear shaft found a plastic 20 oz bottle and cut the bottom off slipped it over the tail housing on the transfercase and duct taped it on there. kept the fluid in the case so i could drive home on my front drive shaft in 4 hi , dont have to worry about it now that i have sye though.

havin a hard time crawling up an obstical cause your tranny keeps shifting into second? well on the renix xj's the tranny controller is right under neath the glove compartment on the back side of that bottom trim piece, simply unplug it and it will make your tranny stay in first. you lose second gear though so its not something youd regularly do or for long, its a "just incase" type thing. but if you enjoy having first like that you can splice a toggle switch into the power wire on the control box so its as easy as hitting a switch.

Used tow straps to help locate the front axle when I snapped an upper trackbar mount in two. It got me down Moab Rim trail, though the pucker factor was raised a bit :scared: .

Bones :skull1:

But he's a real nice guy....

started loosing rear axle shaft in my brothers tahoe (drivind downtown anchorage-haha) used tiedowns to hold a small tree to the nerf bar...the hotel i was parked in front of was not happy i took their tree-haha:eyes:

We've done the "walking broken D35" shaft one up on Funny Rocks at Naches on a buddy's TJ. Found a 12" diameter snag, felled it and cut to length, stripped the bark and oiled the log where it rubbed against the tire. ratchet strapped it to the nerf at the front and the rear roll bar at the aft. Made it about ten miles back down the trail to camp no problem. John earned the nickname "Flintstone" that day.

Another time at Funny Rocks, another buddy blew his upper rad hose after forgetting to turn on his electric fans. The middle of the hose was toast, but we had just enough hose at the rad inlet and the intake water neck to disassemble a 3 cell mag lite and hose clamp the stubby rubber hose ends to it. Filled the rad back up with water and wheeled back to camp.

Something about Funny Rocks brings out the redneck MacGyver in us.

Would make for a good commercial. :cool:

All we have evr done is ratchet strap a broken axle mount for LCA.

fubar XJ said:
Another time at Funny Rocks, another buddy blew his upper rad hose after forgetting to turn on his electric fans. The middle of the hose was toast, but we had just enough hose at the rad inlet and the intake water neck to disassemble a 3 cell mag lite and hose clamp the stubby rubber hose ends to it. Filled the rad back up with water and wheeled back to camp.

Something about Funny Rocks brings out the redneck MacGyver in us.

nothing big here, but i once had a single electric fan hooked up, out in the woods one day by myself going through some tough mud on a hot day and the engine temps kept causing the fuse to overheat, melt, and blow. it was a cycle of heat, no fan, more heat, again no fan, it blew a couple times and all i had was a flashlight and a knife, used all the fuses in the block i didnt need but i eventually ran out, so i ended up cutting out the fuse holder with the knife, and destroyed the flashlight for the metal strip inside it and basicly connected the wires making a crimp with the flashlight strip. i know ive done tons of other dumb sh*t but cant recall.

Back