• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hp 44 9 inch/ D30 8.8

sheeks175

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am having a bit of a problem and I thought I would turn to my best source! NAXJA. I just wanna figure out if it's worth my time to swap my d30/35 out for a hp44 and 9 inch and run 37's. If I don't do the swap I wanna do an 8.8 and run 35's. Maybe 34's. My questions are.

What do you think I should do? How much will it cost to fully install these axles if I regear myself and do ARB's in the 44/ 9inch? Is the fab that tough? What do you have to do for the E brake, front shocks, steering connections, driveshafts/ U joints, and brake lines? And I heard that a HP44 can go to 5.38's for gears, what is the deepest a ford 9 inch can go?

In my area the cheapest I can find a disk brake 8.8 is $400, and I can find a 44/9 inch for about $600. What should I do guys? I searched and found a couple helpful links, if you know of some I will be happy if you show me them. Thanks guys!
-Patrick:passgas:

Honestly man, its going to cost some bucks to run the 44/9 with 37's & do it properly.(lift,steering,fab work etc) But if you got it... spend it.

Otherwise do the 8.8, stick some shafts in the 30, run 33's or so & have some fun.

mattyj said:
Honestly man, its going to cost some bucks to run the 44/9 with 37's & do it properly.(lift,steering,fab work etc) But if you got it... spend it.

Otherwise do the 8.8, stick some shafts in the 30, run 33's or so & have some fun.

Exactly, with 37's you are near/at the limit of the 44/9" in near stock form, even with the aftermarket goodies you are still there. You are going to spend some serious $ to run the HP44/9" set up with gears and lockers, but then again it's better then sticking a lot of $ into the 30 up front. The ford 8.8 is a great axle and works well with a 30 being that it's the same bolt pattern and near the same width. I'd stick with 33's and run the 30/8.8, if you cannot resist the HP44/9" then 35's or maybe up to 37's can be run.

I run 37's with built HP44/35 spline 9", but I also have a automatic and am easy on the drivetrain. I also haven't wheeled in a year so this is really easy on the drivetrain. :laugh3: The lowest you can gear a HP44 or a HP60 is 5.38's and then you can match this with 5.43 gears in the 9", I've heard of 5.38 gears for the 9", but these are pretty rare, 5.43s are more common and perfectly in the range to work well with 5.38s up front. This combo also works very well with 37's and with the auto, if you have a auto trans that is, is not too bad on the highway. I can do 80 and be just under 3K RPMs in 4th gear.

Troy

sheeks175 said:
Hey guys, I am having a bit of a problem and I thought I would turn to my best source! NAXJA. I just wanna figure out if it's worth my time to swap my d30/35 out for a hp44 and 9 inch and run 37's. If I don't do the swap I wanna do an 8.8 and run 35's. Maybe 34's. My questions are.

What do you think I should do? How much will it cost to fully install these axles if I regear myself and do ARB's in the 44/ 9inch? Is the fab that tough? What do you have to do for the E brake, front shocks, steering connections, driveshafts/ U joints, and brake lines? And I heard that a HP44 can go to 5.38's for gears, what is the deepest a ford 9 inch can go?

In my area the cheapest I can find a disk brake 8.8 is $400, and I can find a 44/9 inch for about $600. What should I do guys? I searched and found a couple helpful links, if you know of some I will be happy if you show me them. Thanks guys!

You need aftermarket chromo shafts and u-joints whether you build the D30 or the D44, so keep that in mind. The 8.8 and the 9" both have 31 spline shafts, so if you're going to build the 9" to run 37's you'll want to upgrade it to 35 spline stuff. The 9" has the lowest pinion of any axle, which isn't the most desirable, though many people run them and just deal with it.

If all you're talking about doing is swapping a basically stock 44 and 9", that alone won't allow you to run 37's. You'll need to do major axle upgrades. I'd bet you'd be happier in the long run by getting the 8.8 and sticking with 35" tires.

Thanks guys... I might stick with the 30/8.8, but what is involved in a 44/ 9inch swap, like steering, driveshafts, brakelines, and shocks? Thanks guys.
-Patrick:passgas::lickout:

there are so many threads out there with that exact swap.
first you need a D44 with the welded on radius arm mounts, u need to fab coil buckets, track bar mount, uca's , lca' cut and turn knuckles etc. a 1310 will work on a 44 so ur ok with that, and an adapter is made for the 9" to mate a 1310.

RyanM said:
there are so many threads out there with that exact swap.
first you need a D44 with the welded on radius arm mounts, u need to fab coil buckets, track bar mount, uca's , lca' cut and turn knuckles etc. a 1310 will work on a 44 so ur ok with that, and an adapter is made for the 9" to mate a 1310.

Thanks man, thats what I was looking for. Does anyone have a link to one of the write ups, I haven't seen one yet??? Thanks
-Patrick:puke: :passgas: :badpc:

Thanks again, is it true you need to buy a new carrier if you want to lock a factory limited slip 8.8?:yap:

Yeah Ive read that a bunch, super helpful in telling what the strengths are and what vechile to get it out of.

Goatman said:
You need aftermarket chromo shafts and u-joints whether you build the D30 or the D44, so keep that in mind. The 8.8 and the 9" both have 31 spline shafts, so if you're going to build the 9" to run 37's you'll want to upgrade it to 35 spline stuff. The 9" has the lowest pinion of any axle, which isn't the most desirable, though many people run them and just deal with it.

If all you're talking about doing is swapping a basically stock 44 and 9", that alone won't allow you to run 37's. You'll need to do major axle upgrades. I'd bet you'd be happier in the long run by getting the 8.8 and sticking with 35" tires.

x2 if your sweating the value and the out the door cost or the d44/9 or the yard price of an 8.8 being $400 then .... i think the 8.8 is the way to go if costs are any amount of concern.

also check out TNT

D44truss.jpg

d44 conversion kit http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/Dana44Swap.asp

Last edited:
That kit looks pretty cool, but also costs a pretty penny, so your right money is a factor, I still think I might go with the 44/9 though anyone know of any write upS????
-Patrick:puke:

I blew up a hp44 front alloy axle shaft pretty good this weekend running 37's. Then, when I put in stocker shafts in I took out the ball joints........

If you want proof check out all the pics in the winterfest section.

sheeks175 said:
No write ups? Speak up 44/9 owners.

Do a little research...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101017

Another front D44, but HP.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=907435

The rear is just as easy, setting pinion angle, welding on pearches, shock mounts, brake stuff, ect...

Around the NW, you would be happy with 33's or 35's. I wouldnt hesitate to run 37's, but trails around here are not super tough, so sticking with something smaller, makes it more of a challenge.

sheeks175 said:
That kit looks pretty cool, but also costs a pretty penny, so your right money is a factor, I still think I might go with the 44/9 though anyone know of any write upS????
-Patrick:puke:

if that is too expensive - consider this -
I have probably $3800 into my front 44, and still dont have hi-steer yet... so tack on another $500 and you'll have my 'cheap junkyard buildup' front axle price... :bawl:

people have done it cheaper, but id say that a front 44 costs about that much on average to finish...

Ask Goatman how much his front axle cost
Ask Kid4Lyf
Ask SeanR
Ask Cracker
Ask Dave Taylor

id bet that you'll find mine is one of the cheaper ones...

Wow thanks guys! Thats really what I was looking for. Unfortunatly I cant read them right now I gotta go sleep. Yeah cost is a big worry of mine, but Im getting a job just for my jeep, so it'll be all good. I think that I'm gonna go full width, I guess I'll just have to keep track of the cost and sell as much $hit as I can. Any more info would be sick! Thanks guys.

Back