• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transformer xj

welter5370

NAXJA Forum User
i was given a 87 2wd xj automatic and have converted over to 4wd with dana 30 in front i got a trans from a freind and just installed it. well, it goes in p/n/d but when i drive it feels like it don't shift, if i pull it down into 1st it feels like it downshifts but only once(like 2nd to 1st) it never hits drive. i'm doing 25-30 mph @ 4700 rpm (33" tires,4:88 gears) ive tried all ajustments on linkage but nothing helps. i think the dooner trans was out of a 1999 xj. can somebody please help?:wierd:

im not much of an expert but

behind the glove box there is a shifting computer that tells the trans when to shift

mine went bad and i replaced it with toggle switchs to shift (more info on this if searched for in site)

if the trans isnt the same as the old 1 you may need i computer up date im not shure

the computer is a metal case about 3x4x1.5 and has about 25 wires going into it

thanks, at this point i'm up for trying anything. that is something i did not know, i'm new to jeeps and computers so its hard for me to adapt. i like the old chevys and toyotas but now i'm going to try to build something i've always wanted. its just a new learning curve:wow:

I put a '99 auto in my '91. I had to reuse my old transfercase adapter, the back have of the trans. It come of with like 5 bolts. Had to use snap ring plies to change the sensor on the output shaft. The older tranny's use a different sensor. 1 pulse per rev compared to 4 pulse per rev. Or you could just shift it manualy.

do you mean over ride the computer? how would i wire it up for manual? i can get the computer and stuff out of the doner would i need just the one for the trans ( behind/under the glove box)? thank you for the time.

OK!!!!!!!! well got it, put on a new tps and idle control motorand trans shifted fine but when i turned it off and went to restart it idles at 2000-3500. i adjusted the idle control motor(next to tps) and every thing was fine untill the next time i tuned it off and went to restart it went back up around 2000-3500rpm any body have a idea what to try next?????????///:passgas:

Back