• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High mile 2000 XJ quaestions

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
Well I am looking at buying a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited with 250,000 miles. It has that awesome dark metalic blue paint, black leather interior, automatic, and the 4.0. There is really nothing wrong with it mechanicaly except there is a drip from the rear main seal. It probably has 10% less power than my 1997 with 115,000 miles on it, shifts perfect, stops nice, everything works, and everything is tight.
The rear bumper is dented in a little bit but not much and it did no body damage. The passenger front fender has a decent fist sized dent, and the fiverglass grill surround is going to need to be replaced; the grill surround is not that bad but I will replace it but nothing else on the front end is broken.
The interior is perfect and everything works, there is a small rip in the drivers seat and that is it. What do you think is a fair price for this Jeep? It was very well maintained, I know the guy personally and know that he took very good care of it and was not hard on it at all. By the way this will be my third Jeep, I have a built 87 and modest 97. Thanks!

I just bought a 97 4 door with some random dents; they are noticable but really dont bother me. It has vinyl seats and flooring, power windows,locks, and mirrors. Paint is in pretty good shape. It runs good, but the check engine light is on(owner says o2 sensor) and the front brakes feel a bit strange. Overall you sound like yours is a good deal better but mine only has 150k. I bought it for $3300
I dont know if this helps
I would check compression and oil pressure on it 250k is alot

slcpunk74 said:
I just bought a 97 4 door with some random dents; they are noticable but really dont bother me. It has vinyl seats and flooring, power windows,locks, and mirrors. Paint is in pretty good shape. It runs good, but the check engine light is on(owner says o2 sensor) and the front brakes feel a bit strange. Overall you sound like yours is a good deal better but mine only has 150k. I bought it for $3300
I dont know if this helps
I would check compression and oil pressure on it 250k is alot
Yeah It is alot of miles, his origonal offer was 5,000 before I found the oil leak and before he found the oil leak he still was flexible. 250k is alot and everything seems fine but it is also the Jeep I always wanted. I love the interior, and the color. Most likely I would have put a stroker engine in anyways. If I can get it around $4,000 I will probably buy it, should I talk myself out of it? It seems hard to find limiteds or Country's for under $6,000.

0331 head? Ask him if he's replaced the head on it? Or check for yourself... They are notorious for cracking, as i'm sure you know.

That's a lot of mileage on a 2000, but as long as the fluids have been changed on a regular basis, the bottom end of the motor should be fine..

Listening to the motor is a great indication of what lies ahead.

Great canadate for a stroker.

4,000 would be a great price.

nekocopter said:
0331 head? Ask him if he's replaced the head on it? Or check for yourself... They are notorious for cracking, as i'm sure you know.

That's a lot of mileage on a 2000, but as long as the fluids have been changed on a regular basis, the bottom end of the motor should be fine..

Listening to the motor is a great indication of what lies ahead.

Great canadate for a stroker.

4,000 would be a great price.

It already has 250k so I wouldn't worry, plus the crack usually happens around 70k miles or so.

It could have been replaced several times for all we know...

The 0331 head, regardless of mileage is prone to failure.. It's common knowledge.

Now, if has been swapped with any head BUT the 0331, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The head has never been replaced, and the internals of the engine have never been touched. The internals of everything have never been touched with that many miles. Engine sounds perfect, tranny is perfect, everything mechanical is perfect. That says alot for the reliability for these vehicals, I know the guy personaly and he never went over 4,000 miles on an oil change. He also owned a 1988 Cherokee 4.0 that had 275,000 miles on it when he sold it, he never had to mess with the internals on anything in that also. That has to say something about Jeep Cherokee's and the way he does his maintinence. His kid also drove the 88 and he beat the snot out of it, luckly he moved out before his dad bought the 2000!!

I have almost 300K on my 87', and it runs like a champ.. I've never doubted the reliability of a 4.0.. But the 0331 head has been a trouble maker since it first entered the market in 2000... Ask everyone, and their grandma.

If it runs great, shifts great, still has some giddyup and go, then i'd definately buy it.

Don't ever think I'm questioning the reliablity of the 4.0, because i'm sort of a guru.. I've probably driven over 750,000 miles on Jeep 4.0's, without having one major failure..

That says alot about the reliablity of these engines.

I'm just saying that you should be cautious in buying a 4.0 with the 0331 head.. It's risky buisness.. Can be really expensive too.. Ask me how I know.

I currently have 333543km on my 99 4.0L Cherokee Sport w/ 5 speed and I have owned since summer 2004 and 275000km.

The engine runs like a top. Since new, I have replaced most of the engine components, starter, alternator, water pump, plugs, and the engine still runs stong. I had the check engine light on because of the O2 sensors, but only because my exhaust fell off and pulled the wire out of the sensor. Sinced it's been reconnected, the light has stayed off and I have had no reliability problems with the vehicle due to engine issues.

I have 1 leak at the oil filter housing and I think the rubber gaskets need to be replaced in there to fix that. Otherwise, best engine I have seen in all my used vehicles if it is taken care of.

$4000 would be a good price for that Cherokee.

I picked up my '98 Limited this summer for just under $6k. It's black with grey leather and had just under 70k miles when I bought it. The paint was good and it has one tiny dent about the size of a half dollar.

If it were me I would hold off and keep looking, that is unless your are looking for a project for a stroker.

5000 is too much for that kind of mileage. If it was 150, that woudl be a different story. Remember, there is ALWAYS another one out there at a decent price. Be patient and get the good price. I overpaid for my 01, and wish I would have had more time to shop, but it was for my wife so I had to make a move quickly or she would have had no wheels to get around and we have a kid, so I was not gonna leave them without a way around for over a week. You probably have more time than a week, so don't get taken. Offer him a firm price and see if he takes it, if not, then pass.

i'd honestly say 4,000 on a 2000 with 250k still sounds steep, unless you live in a area where the prices around there are way above market price. BUT, if you really like all the other aspects of that particular xj, as in its paint, interior, options, etc, then you can just get it and drive it, knowing the head is a potential problem, and if you feel so inclined, swap it out with a 0630 or 7120 when its convenient for you. I have a 2000 and am planning on doing it when it warms up outside.I calculated it would be around $500 between a rebuilt head and all the gaskets necessary (i'm doing it myself, a shop will charge a LOT more). Also, a lot of the 0331's were cracking before 100k or short thereafter from what this poll had said http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721472 . Keep in mind though, you are gonna hear lots of complaining from the people who had the heads break, but the thousands who are fine don't tend make a peep. do check the compression and see what mileage it had. also check if he/she has any maint. records or is competant enough to have done proper maint. him/herself. at 250 k, a neglected motor would have suffered. Ask them what mileage it gets, thats a good indicator of its condition. The rear main seal is 14 bux at most stores and maybe 2 hours of work if you take your time, and most novices can handle it with normal tools. ITs also common the motor leak from the valve cover gasket or oil filter adapter and these can mimic a rear main.

Last edited:
Alright, well I will throw the offer at him and see what he says. I have torn every mechanical part on a cherokee apart so nothing is really a big deal. I will offer 4,000, if he takes it good and if not I will spend more on a Jeep with less miles. I will let you guys know what happens. Thanks for all the reply's!

Well he took $4,000 for it! He was a little hesitant but he said okay. This guy owns his own business and makes lots and lots of money so I doubt he really cared to much. He asked if I was married with kids and I said no but I should have said yes. He said if I was he would have taken alot less to help me out.....damn it!! Well thanks for all the reply's, I doubt I will have any problems with the head on it since it allready has 250,000 on it. Most likely I will do cosmetic upgrades first, then a bad ass stereo, then a stroker, then all the lift, lockers, gears, axles, and protection.
Wait my wallet just caught on fire hold on. :flame:

See, he was too high.

Make sure you listen for noises in the motor, check all guagues like oil pressure and such.

Do youself a favor and save for mechanical repairs before you do cosmetics and stereo.

Back