• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AHH!! Throttle Body prob!

blathan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

Just cleaned my Throttle body. I know that it's supposed to run a lil rough before it gets better however the check engine light came on! drove to mickey d's last night on the way over it was on and then it was off on the way back. I then took a drive about 15 miles and the engine light was on and it was missin' BIG TIME. Is this normal for a major buildup? I bought the jeep from a person that never took good care of it and it looked like it was the first time it was ever cleaned. Am i worrying too much?

blathan said:
Hey everyone,

Just cleaned my Throttle body. I know that it's supposed to run a lil rough before it gets better however the check engine light came on! drove to mickey d's last night on the way over it was on and then it was off on the way back. I then took a drive about 15 miles and the engine light was on and it was missin' BIG TIME. Is this normal for a major buildup? I bought the jeep from a person that never took good care of it and it looked like it was the first time it was ever cleaned. Am i worrying too much?
The cleaning probably fouled a sensor. I would guess maybe the TPS. Sounds like yours must be newer than a 90 because it has a CE light. I know the 87-90 TPSs were affected heavily by any liquid touching them. You might want to check into that but I'm sure others will reply here too.
HTH,
Collin

blathan said:
Hey everyone,

after having gone throught the same thing...the last time I cleaned mine I took it off the intake, removed the sensors, and then cleaned it up.

I'd bet one of them got some crud in it.

Blathan,

What year XJ do you drive ?
Have to agree with Red91inWA... When you spray the cleaner in the throat of throttlebody.... you risk the chance of washing some crud into the port for the MAP sensor or IAC, or wetting the TPS.... Most likely the problem lies with the MAP sensor....
I ALWAYS remove the throttlebody from the intake manifold, remove all 3 sensors from the throttlebody and liberally spray the inside and the outside; which includes the linkage...
These steps always provides good results...

Charles

Back