• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Think this 8.8 is worth the trouble?

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
I found an 8.8 from a 97 ranger.

Its drum brakes, and is just over 58" wide. Cherokees are 60" or 60.5" normally??? I'm not sure what the width on the explorer 8.8 is, but a wheel spacer should take care of the lack of width. Its also missing a drum.

My concerns are:
1. Wide enough to fit?
2. Same sort of 8.8 as the explorers? no hidden bad stuff?

They are asking $180 for it, and I am sure I could talk it down, its got 3.73's and there is a guy selling OEM 8.8 posi units on craigslist for $40. I am figuring I can do my 4.10's or 4.56's with a posi and this 8.8 until i buy another ECTED

Worth it?

Last edited:
hrmm, i thought 97 was the year for 31 splines...

if anyone can clarify that, that would also be great. I am okay with wheel spacers, so long as its wide enough to fit over the leaf springs and still get Ubolts on

kPnBQpeIDYdcP6SwHtfrH0wHE5Hg.jpg

theres a pic, so 28 spline it is...

strong enough for a light footed wheeler on 33's, maybe 35's someday? If I do a locker later, I assume I can buy 31 spline shafts and a 31 spline locker and be good to go too? Actually that will probably require disc conversion too...

Last edited:
Axle costs vary depending on geographic location and availability of junk yards.

Here in northern california, a disk brake'd 31 spline 8.8 isn't worth any more than $175.

If it were me, I'd pass on a ranger 8.8. Especially not if you think there is any chance your gonna run it locked with 35's.

-jm

Back