• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Leaf Packs

jsk2052

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought RE 3.5" coils, which sit at 4" as well as super-flex LCA's, and Skyjacker Hydro 7000 front shocks. I'm wondering what I should do for about leaf packs. I'm debating whether I should get RE 3.5" or 4.5" packs. When it's all said and done I'd like my Jeep to sit at about 4.5", I know that if I get 3.5" packs and 1" shackles it will probably flex really well, but someday in the future I may decide that I want to go higher and then I'd have to get new leaf packs again. So my question is how will RE 4.5" packs flex with stock shackles? And also if there much difference in ride quality between the two? It is my DD so I'd like to maintain some good on-road characteristics. And finally my last question is if I get up to 4.5" what tire size should I run. I've been planning on 32's and some minor trimming but most of the pics I've seen have been with 31's and they look a little small with that much lift. I'm sure someone will suggest searching and I have, a lot, so any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

2001 xj, np242, OME medium duty kit, JKS disconnects, 245/75/16 BFG a/t's, D30/Chryco 8.25

32 inch tires, a daily driver, thinking of going bigger in the future.... I would go with the 4.5 inch packs now, extend the brake lines, include a .75inch rear shackle, slap on a 4.5BS rim with a 10.5 or 11 inch wide 32 inch tire of your choice and call the rear complete.

Then of course you need to address the front end to level it and then the drive train to tame it.

less leafs = more flex My rear consists of a 2inch block and 2.5 AAL. I did a trail ride behind a guy with the same kit with the exception that he had the full packs in the rear and mine did flex more. IMHO I'm gonna redo the lift possibly with a 1 inch block 2.5 RE leaf pack and 1 inch shackle to keep the leafs as flat as possible so they still flex like crazy. The blocks may put more stress on the leaf but like I said as of right now I'm on stockers with a AAL and I could care less.

krelja said:
less leafs = more flex My rear consists of a 2inch block and 2.5 AAL. I did a trail ride behind a guy with the same kit with the exception that he had the full packs in the rear and mine did flex more. IMHO I'm gonna redo the lift possibly with a 1 inch block 2.5 RE leaf pack and 1 inch shackle to keep the leafs as flat as possible so they still flex like crazy. The blocks may put more stress on the leaf but like I said as of right now I'm on stockers with a AAL and I could care less.

but his will be flexing long after yours are bent into a pretzel b/c of blocks and AAL

Love my RE 1462s 4.5 that is great ride yeah they don't look like a rainbow
on the trail but that is what the detroit is for

that still remains to be seen

krelja said:
that still remains to be seen
ah much to learn young grasshoppa.

The RE 4.5 packs are extremely flexy for leaf springs. Remember it also has a lot to do with the spring rate in the leafs, and the metal used.

Your blocks and AAL will sag and twist like a B#*#H. I used to have 3" AAL with no blocks and that sagged real bad and flexed like a lowrider going over a speed bump.

Just listen and get the 4.5" leaf packs and level the front off...32s are a good size tire for DD and weekend wheelin.

Yeah don't really plan on messing with AAL's and definitely not going to use blocks. My only concern about the 4.5" packs is that they'll sit higher than 4.5" and that they will have too much arch. Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!

IcedXJ said:
ah much to learn young grasshoppa.

He's older than you and has been a user longer! :D (I find it funny)

The RE1462's will settle down with some weight and some hard wheeling real fast. One Moab trip for me. They flex quite well.

I've has just about every leaf/block/AAL combo imaginable. A good Quality AAL(full length) isn't a problem. It's like doing bastard packs. Blocks aren't bad if they're steel and you keep good u-bolts on there tight.(they do wrap) Full leaves and a shackle are best.

I agree with Daffy's post.

Why do I try....I know nothing.

the only reason I'm not to worried about the leafs sagging is the fact that they are almost flat as it is. So for them to really sag they will have to bend the opposite way. I'm also not saying that it is the best setup cause its not but it does really flex well

Back