• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what the hell...

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
This new jeep I bought is pretty odd. I have 3 friends who also have 97+ xjs and 2 of those happen to be 98 classics just like mine and the other is a 00 sport. My 98 classic is weird, I have no glove compartment light, no heated mirrors, no cruise, no fogs. Both the other 98s have a glove compartment light, cruise, fogs, and the 00 sport has heated mirrors. Do I just have a poorly optioned jeep ? I would think something like a glove compartment light would be standard. Next question is are classics better than sports options wise. I mean my classic has the body painted trim and bumper ends and the nicer wheels and interior where as the 00 sport has the hideous cloth seats, and the black plastic bumper ends and trim.

yeah the classic is ahead of the Sport as far as the trimline goes for 98 it was SE/Sport/Classic/Limited. Yours is probably missing some kind of convinience package or it might be a delete option if it was custom ordered. For somthing that new though you should be able to get the build slip through chrysler though. It will tell you if it had a delete option.

Yeah, that is strange...cause I have a 00 SE...no fogs, cruise, heated mirrors or glove compartment light...no tach either. It does have a package that included power windows and locks and sport allow wheels.

But strangely enough, it came with HD springs front and rear and limited slip (from build sheet), but no hitch???

Your SE is the base cherokee, It's basically a basic HD jeep. Like the silverado W/Ts, they have no options but beefier springs and whatnot. Me on the other hand have a classic with weird options.

If I remember correctly, heated mirrors were not available untill 2000....along with heated seats.

As far as the glove box light....ya know I honestly don't remember if I have one or not....i'll have to look later when I go out.

As far as oddly optioned....mine's a sport with power windows, locks, mirrors, automatic....but no cruise, no overhead console, no speed sensitive door locks, no infinity sound system.....yet I have selec trac (and love it!).

My old bosses 98 which was also a sport had command trac, all the power options I listed, no cruise, but HAD an overhead, HAD the infinity system (that didn't work very well), and HAD speed sensitive door locks (which I didn't know were an option on XJ's)

My 98 Sport came with the power package (doors, windows, mirrors), full windo tint, full size spare (with LS). Only thing missing is cruise and overhead console, but I know those didn't come on the Sport....

The build sheet should be under the rear seat on the passenger side and under the carpet. Thats where I found it on 2 of my 4 XJ's.

My sport has all windows tinted but the drivers and front pass and power locks and windows cruse and tach... and I love it. But I dont think it has a light in glove box unless its burnd out.

Ivan said:
My 98 Sport came with the power package (doors, windows, mirrors), full windo tint, full size spare (with LS). Only thing missing is cruise and overhead console, but I know those didn't come on the Sport....

His was a sport and it had it. I asked him if he had added it since he got the Jeep and he said no. Now it's still possible that who ever had it before him added one, but IIRC, he's the 2nd owner, and he bought it with relatively low miles on it.

Oh, and no light in the glove box on mine. Just the one underneath it that shines on the floor

Your Cherokee should be wired for most of the options not installed. Go to the junk yard and start adding what ever you want!

My "stripper" 4 cyl. / 5 speed SE now has full gauges, front and rear factory skids and hitch and a bunch of other factory options. The extra wires under the dash were even labeled for extra speakers and lights.

PhotographerMike said:
Your Cherokee should be wired for most of the options not installed. Go to the junk yard and start adding what ever you want!

My "stripper" 4 cyl. / 5 speed SE now has full gauges, front and rear factory skids and hitch and a bunch of other factory options. The extra wires under the dash were even labeled for extra speakers and lights.

I think that might be because a lot of forestry services got the base model XJ's for dirt cheap and added their own lights and speakers on them....

99XJSPORT06 said:
I think that might be because a lot of forestry services got the base model XJ's for dirt cheap and added their own lights and speakers on them....

It came without any off road options and two wheel drive. I'm just having fun adding whatever I can find that fits my use.

It did come "oddly optioned" from the factory with special "show vehicle tracking" (second coat of paint and/or more care when applied) "bright jade satin glow" paint, "heavy duty engine cooling", "117 amp. alternator", nice interior (doors, seats, radio, speakers, full carpet, air) and "cruise control". I think it may have been a dealer showroom or car show car. Also on the build sheet is "reliability test vehicle". I like it!

99XJSPORT06 said:
reliability test vehicle? That's a new one for me....

Enough of this hijack . . .

You can add just about whatever you want to your "new" Cherokee. Most factory options can be added without having to do anything special. As they say in the computer business, it's "plug and play" for the most part.

Mike

Back