• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP WITH RUSTYS LIFT!

kevin d

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a rustys 6.5 inch short arm kit in my 88 2 door. The front went very smoothly with no broken bolts or problems. The rear is the problem. I got the front of the leaves bolted in and the axle bolted to the springs but i cant get the rear bolts in. They come about 2 inches short of stock shackles. Any suggestions?

You can get some 2" shakles from your local Offroad shop and make it work. But with that much lift it will be hard to get another 2" with out your DS falling out.

Good Luck!

i didn't bolt my axle to the new springs until i had the springs already in place, fastened front and back. i also had longer shackles so i'm not sure if that is the differenc?. could be since i had no problems with doing mine the way i did.

I already tried that and it didnt work. The guy at rustys said to put the rear on jack stands and pry on the leaf and then i should be able to put the bolt in.

My 4.5 rustys kit did the same thing, although only by and inch. I found putting the rear shackle in first works best. Then jack up the leaf and compress it on the frame rails so that it slides forward and pry the front of the leaf into location for the remaining bolt. You will definately need some help with this method.

You need to flaten out the leaf pack. Place a jack under the spring and a 2X4 or pry bar and pry between the spring and frame at the rear and jack up on the spring until it lines up with the shackle. This requires that you have three hands (wouldnt that be nice).

i've had my 4.5 inch rustys lift for awhile now with no problems. great flex and great price and it gets wheeled on a very regular and hard basis.

Weird, I installed both sides of the leaf spring before I attached it to the axle, try that, or try jacking up the leaves like the other dude was talking about.
-Patrick:passgas:

Back