• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Altenator ????

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well Christmas eve night i was driving home from My grand parents house and noticed my battery gauge was really low, hovering a little over 9 volts. So i figured it was my Alt. Changed it out and still had a warranty from the last one. But i bought the Heavy Duty one from Napa. Well almost exactly 2 months later ( 2-25-07) I was driving home from work and noticed the exact same thing. And my jeep hasnt seen any major mud since i changed the last one, i mean the altenator is still silver! :) but im just wondering why i am having such a problem with these things? could it be the napa brand?? thanks.

First things first - verify the voltmeter separately! The RENIX IP voltmeter is a notorious liar - mine typically reads ~11VDC, but my alternator output is a rock steady 14.6VDC...

Check voltage at the battery with the engine running before you suspect anything else.

If you have to replace it again anyhow, I honestly don't think the "big chain" warranties are worth anything. Find a small shop, and deal with them. They'll have a better bench, better QC, and you usually don't need their warranty.

Back