• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Problems??

xj mimi

NAXJA Forum User
Please forgive the noob mistake, i managed to post this first on the modified tech forum.
:dunce:

Anyway here goes..
Since my last wheeling trip (where i definetly got some mud under the hood) my fan has been making some really funny sounds..
i know its not the belt driven fan, cause it only happens when my engine gets really hot and i'm stopped, like at a red light, or when i first start it up when the engine's already warmed up.
i can hear the electric fan kick on, but its really loud, and there's a vibration that comes with it.
when i turn off the engine, the sound continues for a couple seconds, like the fan is slowing to a stop..
anybody had this problem before?
looking for some input before i just start chasing the sound under the hood...
thanks!

Mimi

Mine did the same thing right before it exploded. All the vibration from wheeling caused it to shift and it hit the fan shroud, causing a small crack that got worse. I would recommend that you unplug it until you can get a new one.

thanks for the advice, i'm takin it apart tomorrow. see if i just wore out the bearings with all my mudding or if a managed to rattle the whole thing loose.
i'll let you know how it goes!

Visual it.

I have lost the mounting screws on the top of mine, snapped the "ears", and had the tabs jump out of thier slots. It should be firmly mounted in position, if it can be moved around...something is wrong.

Rev

Back