• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Undecided on tire size for trails around the PNW

wrecked

NAXJA Forum User
As I have posted before I've been collecting parts to build up my 2dr XJ for the last 8 months or so. I have alot of the suspension components, axles and working on getting gears and shafts.

However, before I really start building I've got to get a better idea on what tire size I should run. I know my rear D60 is going to be a bit of an anchor with anything smaller than a 36" or so, but at the same time I don't want to make trails too easy by running a massive tire.

I'm thinking something like a 37" Irok's, 37" Krawlers or 38" Creepy Crawlers. I ran 35" Boggers on my old XJ and found that to be good, but I'll be running alot more trails than just out to TSF this time around.

I believe it was Avanteone who kept his 35" Krawlers instead of going to the 37's.

Anyone have an opinion what you would be good for the local trails? I'm just really indecisive.

-Kevin

I run 33's and haven't had a problem yet. I've only run Reiter, Evans, and Elbe, though. Of everyone I wheel with regularly, I have the smallest tires and can go everywhere they can. Also, something to consider is the powers that be are trying to get max tire size limits on many of the local trails. 35's or smaller is the rumor. Although nobody I know is going to run a D60. I'll let someone more knowledgable tackle the clearance issues you're looking at.

I got the front and rear axle out of a Ford F250 and a spare set of doors to make half doors for the summer for $500. I like the idea of having a rig that I wont have to worry so much about breakage, which is why I'm keeping the 60for the rear.

I also may not stay in the area forever and don't really want to have to rebuild later on for tougher trails.

-Kevin

Personally, I don't think there is any reason to run anything bigger than a 33" tire on all of the trails around here. And I think the most experienced people wheeling would agree that with a 33, you should be able to go anywhere a 35 can go. However, normally the idea of bigger, badder tires get's the better of us and we often go slightly larger each time we put down the money for a new set of tires. I used to wheel with a guy on 38's who used to say I would never make it on my 33's, but I never had any issues at all. There are particular obstacles that might be much easier or more doable with a larger tire, but they are VERY few and far between, and continually trying them on a 33, instead of a 37 will make you a much better driver.

A few things to consider:
1. Anything over a 33" tires is going to put significantly more stress on your unibody and should consider significantly more reinforcement like frame stiffening, Cage, etc (then again, you big heavy axles might require that anyway).
2. You D60 rear might be big and bulky, but that extra weight can also really help if you use it right.
3. Pick a tire size based on the tire tread you want instead of only size, (I would really consider the Krawler or Creepy Crawlers and you can't get them in a 33" tire, as with you can't get the Irok in anything less than a 36" IIRC).
4. What are the people you are going to be wheeling with have?
5. Cost of tires. I am going to a 33" TSL ~$150 each. But I recently considered going up to a 35" (just so I could get a Krawler or Creepy Crawler) but looked at the price of them and decided against them.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Personally, I don't think there is any reason to run anything bigger than a 33" tire on all of the trails around here. And I think the most experienced people wheeling would agree that with a 33, you should be able to go anywhere a 35 can go. However, normally the idea of bigger, badder tires get's the better of us and we often go slightly larger each time we put down the money for a new set of tires. I used to wheel with a guy on 38's who used to say I would never make it on my 33's, but I never had any issues at all. There are particular obstacles that might be much easier or more doable with a larger tire, but they are VERY few and far between, and continually trying them on a 33, instead of a 37 will make you a much better driver.

A few things to consider:
1. Anything over a 33" tires is going to put significantly more stress on your unibody and should consider significantly more reinforcement like frame stiffening, Cage, etc (then again, you big heavy axles might require that anyway).
2. You D60 rear might be big and bulky, but that extra weight can also really help if you use it right.
3. Pick a tire size based on the tire tread you want instead of only size, (I would really consider the Krawler or Creepy Crawlers and you can't get them in a 33" tire, as with you can't get the Irok in anything less than a 36" IIRC).
4. What are the people you are going to be wheeling with have?
5. Cost of tires. I am going to a 33" TSL ~$150 each. But I recently considered going up to a 35" (just so I could get a Krawler or Creepy Crawler) but looked at the price of them and decided against them.

Michael

Full unibody bracing will be the FIRST thing done, along with a full exo cage and partial internal bracing.
My friends all run trucks with 38's to 44's. Usually more toward the 44 side of the scale, which I know is ridiculous. I will not go that big.
Tire cost is not a big deal. I've got a company that gives me really good deals 250 out the door for a 37" Bogger the price isn't bad at all.
I won't be driving the rig everyday, so the only tire wear will be on the trail, and maybe if I choose to drive to the trail.
I like the added clearnance the larger tires provide. And like I said I won't always be running the local trails. I will likely end up moving once my work contract is up and running all kinds of trails.

However, I do think that 33's are enough to do plenty in a jeep. I will be adding a set of 33's to my '98 XJ for mild trail runs.

Has anyone had any problems running the Iroks around here?

-Kevin

i run 36 iroks with d44 F/R with alloys and yukons with super joints in the front. dont have a single problem. dont know if i would go with an irok again probably an SX. seems to work great for me

The SX seems to be a much more popular choice than the Irok around here.

Running 60's I'd say you need to be at least 37-38" tire, and you're right, all the bracing/cage, etc. needs to be done first.

All of that being said, I decided to stick /w a 35" tire because nearly every trail in the area (plus Moab, Rubicon, etc) is very doable /w 35's. I am very comfortable /w my current setup and my rig is VERY well balanced /w the 35's and I didn't wanna mess that up, that's why I sold the 37's.

J

Avanteone said:
All of that being said, I decided to stick /w a 35" tire because nearly every trail in the area (plus Moab, Rubicon, etc) is very doable /w 35's. I am very comfortable /w my current setup and my rig is VERY well balanced /w the 35's and I didn't wanna mess that up, that's why I sold the 37's.

J

This is EXACTLY why I'm going to 35s in the next round of suspension/drivetrain mods.

dr drae said:
Nobody needs anything bigger than 35's around here.

Uh... OK :looser: HAHAHA

38s_inRam.jpg

wrecked said:
Full unibody bracing will be the FIRST thing done, along with a full exo cage and partial internal bracing.
My friends all run trucks with 38's to 44's.
Tire cost is not a big deal.
I will be adding a set of 33's to my '98 XJ for mild trail runs.
-Kevin

Having said this, I would go with a set of 37" Krawlers or similar.
Michael

I have no problem going anywhere on my 33" tires, and have a blast doing it. I don't really see the advantage in going much bigger then that except in making the trails easier, which to me equals less fun. Sure I can't do every single obstacle out there and occasionally have to winch, or go around, but what fun would it be if everything came easily?

Having said that I would go to a 36" Irok in a heart beat if I didn't think it would eat my D30 for breakfast. Only because I really want an Irok though, arguably the best tire around for NW Wheeling. What I would really like is a 33-34" Iroc on a 15" Rim.

norcal420 said:
It can be done, depends how you wheel......

I beat the ever living piss out of my XJ, only one I know who flogs there rig more is KarlVP, but he’s not right in the head. :) With my driving "style" I've broken two sets of U-Joints and am only running a 33"x10.5" tire. And those are the larger U-joints mind you, not the smaller ones. (I can never remember there model #) That little problem went away once KarlVP welded my U-Joint Caps in for me, but still, I would break front axle shafts left and right on a 36" tire. Now if I had Alloys........

My philosophy is I'd rather have a smaller Jeep that can stand up to any abuse I'm able to dish out then have a larger Jeep and have to baby it along the trail for fear of breaking a part. Hence my new role cage, no more body to worry about, and should be more then strong enough to survive any role I'm likely to encounter.

Back