• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper way to shift a manual XJ into 4h and 4lo

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I know how to do it on an automatic of course. I'm about to go look at a manual XJ to pick up for my fiancee. I've never driven a manual XJ in 4x4 before. Does the clutch need to be applied, or can you simply shift into 4 high? What about 4 low? I assume clutch in, slightly rolling.

Let me know quick please I'm going to go look at this thing in 15 minutes

On the auto 4 hi could be applied while rolling and in gear, but 4lo (for my 95 anyway), you must be stopped and put the transmission into neutral. I assume it's similar for the manual?

Clutch in, stopped, just pull the handle. If it has mobil-1 atf in it goes into 4lo like greased butter, with factory lube it did some noisy stuff and the lever would bounce a bit till they synched and dropped into 4lo...

i always have the clutch in and the transmission in neutral. I tend usually need to shift to 4lo with a little bit of rolling action, when i try to do it stopped, the gears don't always mesh.

4 hi it says 55 and under. On some highways 70 mph is legal too.

Funny thing is, it the owners manual or the sticker on the driver's visor don't say anything about being stopped or having the transmission in netural for shifting into 4 lo. Maybe now adays they do?

Back