• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions on 2000 distributerless coil on plug ignition

enginewrecker2000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 wagoneer and i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on trying to install the 2000 distributerless ignition set up instead of the traditional distributer set up.would it work?would it be worth the hassle? would it make a difference in performance?how does it work?anyways,what would this install involve? thanks for your time!!!1​

I can't tell you anything else except how it "works."

Every spark plug gets its own coil......so there's 6 coils for a 6 cylinder engine, etc. Um, so yes, there's no spinning rotor or a distributor. each coil is controlled by the computer and fires when it is supposed to, in sequence with the rest. So basically instead of the main coil firing over and over in a traditional engine, these individual coils fire less, since they are only responsible for one plug.....not all 6. It keeps the coils cooler and such.

actually there are only three coils.

Kyung

well thats partially correct on the no spinning thing. there is a device that sits where the distributor would, and acts like one. it runs the oil pump and tells the comp positioning for firing. to install this would require the comp out of the 2k and the wiring harness. not certain the older blocks openings for disrt are the same. my 98 just got a 2k engine and i kept the old dist set up.

Its called waste spark. 3 coils. When 1 coil fires it burns in the intended cylinder and also sparks in another cylinder that is on a different stroke, say exhaust, so that spark is just wasted in that cylinder. It does have a trigger mechanism in the old dist. hole. Its all controlled through the pcm. The auto shut down relay powers the ignition coil pack with the pcm providing the negative to fire it. The crank position sensor and cam position sensor provide reference signals. The asd relay also sends a positive through fuse 18 to power the fuel injectors. I would have to see the 88 wiring schematic, but I'm guessing it would be a chore to change over. BUT, as I tell them ..........someone mined the ore out of the earth and made the machine...............we can certainly fix it. Mine is a 2000

Back