• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 xj shifting problems

435Mj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone Im trying to figure out where im running into troble shifting. I have a 93 manule trans cherokee with about 191,000 on it. My troble is that at time it is extreamly difficult to get into 1st and reverse at times, sometimes I cant even get into 1st with out rolling and putting it in gear. to make taking off from a stop light easyer I have to keep it in gear or I might not be able it get it in gear fast enought it seems like frist isnt there anymore. Then when I do get it in gear its hard, it dosent feel like grinding so much as it kinda pops into place. But when Im at a dead stop I dont creap forward or anything like that if my foot is off the break. As for reverse the problem is grinding when I have the clutch pressed down and I go to put it in reverse I have the errr errrr errrr grinding, but other times its easy as pie to get it into reverse. So whats up? Do I just have to get a new bushing for my shifter(its a hurst btw) or adjust the clutch, or replace my clutch again. The clutch and shift er new with in the last 3 years. thanks for the help and let me know if I need to provide anymore info on my truck to help the dignosis. I hope I dont have to replace it again. I dont think I burned it up that fast. thanks tim

i have an auto so can't tell you for sure about how the XJ manual/clutch/tranny mate up, but...i had a prob exactly like yours with another car that had a manual. ended up being lack of grease on the pilot bearing (needle bearing assy) on the end of the transmission main shaft that mated to the flywheel. i.e. the needle bearing was on the end of the main shaft and set inside the flywheel (for support). without proper lubrication (grease in my case) the spinning flywheel would catch/drag some rotation into the mainshaft and the result was grinding going into 1st or reverse.

Otter said:
i have an auto so can't tell you for sure about how the XJ manual/clutch/tranny mate up, but...i had a prob exactly like yours with another car that had a manual. ended up being lack of grease on the pilot bearing (needle bearing assy) on the end of the transmission main shaft that mated to the flywheel. i.e. the needle bearing was on the end of the main shaft and set inside the flywheel (for support). without proper lubrication (grease in my case) the spinning flywheel would catch/drag some rotation into the mainshaft and the result was grinding going into 1st or reverse.

Thanks otter Ill have to see if that might help.Or if the chreokee has something like it. Today when I was driving home from work Im noticing alot of slop in the shifter itself, I know there is a plastic cap or something on the end of the shifter that may need to be replaced, maybe i wore it out. I want to try the easy fixes frist. Thanks for your imput. Can anyone else chime in?

I have a 93 also, start by bleeding the system (you may have to bleed it several times). If that does not work try replacing the clutch master cylinder. It's an easy swap.

I have a 93 also, start by bleeding the system (you may have to bleed it several times). If that does not work try replacing the clutch master cylinder. It's an easy swap.

Back