• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Dana 44 shafts in an xj44?

here are the shafts.. what are they from???

dana44002.jpg

dana44003.jpg

any info would be great..

it is a ZJ axle, but i got one more question....where the splines are at the end of the axles...does one axle have splines cut alot further down the axle than the other?

xjjeeper19 said:
it is a ZJ axle, but i got one more question....where the splines are at the end of the axles...does one axle have splines cut alot further down the axle than the other?

I dont think so? The other one is outside.. ill check it tomarrow..

Is there a way i can use these in a non zj housing? in an xj housing?

I'm not sure, as long as the splines are the same and so is the lenght i would say go for it. just check the bearings and the races to make sure they are the same too.

xjjeeper19 said:
I'm not sure, as long as the splines are the same and so is the lenght i would say go for it. just check the bearings and the races to make sure they are the same too.

i'll have to give it a try :) maybe if i just change that backing plate??

the backing plate should be the same it is bearing or the splines that are different, but i could be wrong.

xjjeeper19 said:
the backing plate should be the same it is bearing or the splines that are different, but i could be wrong.

the backing plate is the same shape?

its still a 30 spline axle? maybe the depth isnt right.. ill have to look into it more when i tear my 44 apart this week

I do think the plate is the same. I know the newer 99 and up dana 44 aluminums have a bigger square plate. Ithink that even the older 35 used the same plate. as far as leght i think they would be the same a ZJ is just as wide as an XJ. the only thing that might be different is a ZJ with a V-8 had disc brakes.

Does the ZJ axle have a retaining plate because why would it need one if it has C clips? If it does then the bolt pattern will be different but easy enough to re-drill them. If it doesn't have retaining plates you would have to check the bearings as they most likely not tapered if like the D35.

Those don't look like ZJ shafts to me. The guy who posted about a ZJ rearend having c-clips is correct. Those shafts in the pic are either TJ, or XJ shafts. You need to count the splines to know if they are D44 or D35. You got any pics of the housing?

Bryan C. said:
Those don't look like ZJ shafts to me. The guy who posted about a ZJ rearend having c-clips is correct. Those shafts in the pic are either TJ, or XJ shafts. You need to count the splines to know if they are D44 or D35. You got any pics of the housing?

They are 30 spline, i counted them.. and they dont seem to have C clips.. The housing i have is complete with axles already, and is a xj d44.. The guy i bought the d44 gave me these and wasnt exactly to sure what they came from..

YeaItsSlo said:
They are 30 spline, i counted them.. and they dont seem to have C clips.. The housing i have is complete with axles already, and is a xj d44.. The guy i bought the d44 gave me these and wasnt exactly to sure what they came from..

Looks like they should work just fine to me, but hey I'm only looking at pictures. :wave:

those are tj shafts with that bolt pattern on the retainer... xj has the square pattern. they will bot into your xj rear if you change the retainer to the old style

Last edited:
Back