• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

side posts on red top

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i'm contemplating getting a winch at the end of the summer. If i do, i want to replace my dying battery with an optima. my question is, can i run the winch off the top posts, and everything else (lights, electrical, etc) off the side posts? Or, could I just run the lights off the side posts, and the winch and electrical off the top posts?

I've seen posts recommending for and against, predominantly against, running the winch cables off of side posts.

Thanks guys,
kenny

NCCherokee said:
Ok, i'm contemplating getting a winch at the end of the summer. If i do, i want to replace my dying battery with an optima. my question is, can i run the winch off the top posts, and everything else (lights, electrical, etc) off the side posts? Or, could I just run the lights off the side posts, and the winch and electrical off the top posts?

I've seen posts recommending for and against, predominantly against, running the winch cables off of side posts.

Thanks guys,
kenny

Go with your first setup. Winch off the tops, and others off the sides. Maybe a dual battery setup in the future?

Concur. Side posts are NOT designed for long-term, high-current drawing, and you're likely to melt the terminals right out of the case!

However, to use them for auxiliary distribution, find a 3/8"-16x3/4" bolt for each post, and get some washers as well. That should hold down any cables you're likely to run into those... Brass bolts are preferred, with stainless a second.

5-90

You can run anything you like off of the top or side, as long as you bridge the top and side posts together. This way, they share all loads. A short piece of 1 guage will do it.

Optima will not warranty a red top if a winch is used on the side posts (not sure about their other varieties).

The top and sides are bridged together on the Optimas. Its done with a large lead strap more or less. They are much better than a regular side post but I would still not run a winch off of the side. The top posts allow more contact area for the terminal among other things.

Back