• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine Belt Removal on a 98

Assuming this is a 4.0, the adjustment is at the power steering pump. You'll see the adjuster there. I'm not at home right now. I don't have books at hand right now and it's too cold to go out and pop the hood. But the head points upward, to the left of the pump. If you follow it down, you'll see the threads of the adjuster, and the bolt head you must loosen to make the adjustment. Unlike earlier models, there is a gread deal of leeway on this adjustment, making the job much easier than it used to be.

I just removed my belt 2001 4.0 15mm to loosen the adjustment bolt behind and under the ps pump. I also removed the electric fan to loosen the adjustment pulley bolt too, also 15mm. If you choose to pull out the fan becareful not to cut the coolant overflow bottle hose, the plastic on mine was sharp enough to slice it open.

Last edited:
So all I need to do is turn the adjusting bolt behind/under the PS pump? Do I need to do anything to the pulley below the PS pump? Is that the idler pulley?

Yes... loosen the bolt on the idler pulley (beneath the PS pump), and the tension adjustment bolt on the PS bracket. No need to remove the fan shround if you have a long handled 15mm wrench.

You'll see the tension adjustment bolt head on the bracket roughly between the water pump and the PS Pump. As mentioned above, it's long and you'll see the end of the threads underneatht he PS pump bracket.

Ivan said:
Yes... loosen the bolt on the idler pulley (beneath the PS pump), and the tension adjustment bolt on the PS bracket. No need to remove the fan shround if you have a long handled 15mm wrench.

You'll see the tension adjustment bolt head on the bracket roughly between the water pump and the PS Pump. As mentioned above, it's long and you'll see the end of the threads underneatht he PS pump bracket.

Judt finished up. I'm sorry I even asked beause it was so easy. My fan is not even close to getting in the way. It's set off to far to the left.

Blaine B. said:
2 bolts behind the power steering pump, 3 on the front, one on the bottom too? And then you can adjust the tension bolt.....at least that's how my 95's is.
They improved it on 96 and later models..
Just 2 bolts.

Kyung

Kinda..... sorta..... maybe..... like this.....
pulleykr0.jpg

No, follow what Ivan said, the idler pulley under the PS pump bracket, 15mm, I have a snap-on long flat ratchet box wrench for that. Loosen that idler about maybe 1 turn. Then look above and to the left of that, you will see bolt head all by its lonesome, thats the adjuster, unplug your temp sender unit or even remove it so you don't slip and break it [experience talking here]
If it's not been adjusted before it can be one tight SOB, consider sticking a straw on the spray end of some break free and hitting the threads on that adjuster so it dribbles down to the block behind the idler pulley. It does make it a bit easier to pop out the electric fan, gives you a bit more room and it is only held in by 2 bolts, also, do unplug the fan and set it on the side, the wires are about 2" too short to put it somewhere safe where it won't fall and smack your hands, arms, fingers... it's a double locked plug so you need to do two things to release it...so don't break it if it's not coming unplugged.

OOPS must be dysleic(sp)thought he said it wuz a 89':laugh:

Back