• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burning away old bushings...?

Xeno

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled my rear leaf springs in preparation for a lift (AAL) and while I am at it I am replacing my bushings too.

:firedevilI have heard that the easiest way to remove the old bushings is do burn them out. :firedevil

Is there any other way? I tried to :flame: one of them today with a torch and all it did was get somewhat gooey, but it didn't budge.

Any suggestions or alternative methods would be much appreciated. Thanks :D :thumbup:

Only suggestion I have is to open up the end of the spring with a pry bar to relieve some of the pressure, while using a press kit to force it out. Two man job. I tried this last year on my '88, got one out after MUCH cursing and struggling. They get really rusted into the springs. I wound up cutting through the springs for the rest of them, since I was replacing the springs anyway and the bushings were worth saving. Good luck!

What kind of torch were you using? Goodburbon is right, you need oxy acetylene. You need to blow the rubber out with the torch, much like you would cut metal with it. Take it to an exhaust shop and they should be able to do it fairly cheaply.

The tightwad method is to get a drill and drill multiple holes through the rubber around the circumference. That will reduce the pressure and allow you to whack it with a hammer and get it out.

I did a Rustys 6.5" lift. The XJ had sat for 3 years, so the bolt was seized onto the rubber on mine. Forget PB Blaster, or strong arming it off. Trust me, torch it.

My new-to-me leafpacks are at the shop right now, getting the old ones pressed out and new ones pressed in. I screwed around for about 1/2 an hour last weekend trying to get one of them to even budge.....$20 I am gladly willing to spend (and I'm as cheap as they come....)

Jeff

I began drilling through one last night, with minimal success, but I think I'm getting somewhere. If worst comes to worst I might have to take them somewhere, but we'll see.

Thanks for the insights.

Any other alt methods?

Oh, something else to mention:

I had no trouble with taking the leaf packs off. They are completely removed so I have some options.

20 bucks to get them all pressed out? Not bad. That would probably be much more worth my time (and my tools).

So after a wild goose chase to find a spring shop, I got them hammered out for free!

Tip to any searchers: Find a specialty spring shop, it's about a 2 second job with the right hand tools, and I wasn't charged a dime.

X

Back