• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 manual XJ... does this have the puke goat or AX15 trans?

Could go either way. Crawl under and check the transmission case - if it has a longwise split that's screwed together, it's the Peugeot. If it looks like a central case with cases attached before and after it (as I recall, the AX-15 is a three-part case) then it's the AX-15.

Also, the Peugeot has a screwed 1/4" SAE tube fitting going into the slave cylinder, while the AX-15 has some silly "quick-connect" arrangement - so checking the hydraulics will also help. The pressure/supply line to the AX-15 is plastic, where the one for the Peugeot is a hose with a metal flare nut at the end.

Sorry I don't have pix handy...

Here are some ID pics:

AX15ID.jpg

BA10ID.jpg

I know this is an old thread but it just answered on question for me and created a new one.
Do most people run the same oil in the peaugot as the ax15?

Fehron said:
I know this is an old thread but it just answered on question for me and created a new one.
Do most people run the same oil in the peaugot as the ax15?

The Peugeot can run GL-5 without incident - no bronze.

The AX-15 will want GL-3 (preferred) or GL-4 (OK, but not great) due to the bronze synchronisers. GL-5 has added sulphur as an EP lubricant, and the sulphur is antagonistic to the copper in bronze alloys.

Back