• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 MJ, no crank, no nothing....

CMNCHE

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I parked my MJ last night and it ran fine, go to move it this morning and nothing. It doesn't crank, it doesn't turn on, nothing. If I cycle the key to the on/run position, the fuel pump doesn't run, the radio and accesiories don't come on. Its like its just dead. I have 12.5 volts at the battery and all connections are good. The fact that the accesiories don't work is leading me to believe ignition switch....? Or maybe a bad ground? Lights work, high beams go off and on, four ways work......I just don't have anything at all when I turn the key, no clicks, no pops , no nothing?

sometimes my 94 XJ does about the same thing. I thought maybe it was the starter, put in a new one, still happens, just not as often. I find that if I put it in neutral and try again, it will start right up. I'm no electrician, but for some reason it works for me.

CMNCHE said:
Ok I parked my MJ last night and it ran fine, go to move it this morning and nothing. It doesn't crank, it doesn't turn on, nothing. If I cycle the key to the on/run position, the fuel pump doesn't run, the radio and accesiories don't come on. Its like its just dead. I have 12.5 volts at the battery and all connections are good. The fact that the accesiories don't work is leading me to believe ignition switch....? Or maybe a bad ground? Lights work, high beams go off and on, four ways work......I just don't have anything at all when I turn the key, no clicks, no pops , no nothing?

Can you get anything when you wiggle the key? You're old enough that you've probably lost the ignition switch (the one operated by the key - it's down on top of the column by the firewall. It's the one toward the passenger side - the one toward the driver's side is the headlamp dimmer.)

It's fairly easy to replace - takes about a half-hour. I had to change the ignition switch in my 88 last year. I think it was about $20.

5-90 said:
Can you get anything when you wiggle the key? You're old enough that you've probably lost the ignition switch (the one operated by the key - it's down on top of the column by the firewall. It's the one toward the passenger side - the one toward the driver's side is the headlamp dimmer.)

It's fairly easy to replace - takes about a half-hour. I had to change the ignition switch in my 88 last year. I think it was about $20.

Nah I tried wiggling the key (and a lot of other things) no change. I removed the ign.switch and took it apart today, nothing looks burned or melted like I would expect....I think I am gonna get one tommorow, can't hurt after 18 years.......I guess I just figured it would cough or sputter on the way out, not just be fine one day and nothing the next. I would think if it was anyting else I would still have power in the acc. position and just no crank or start right? Can I get one of these at NAPA or do I need to go to the delear?

You should be able to go to NAPA - my replacement was made by Borg-Warner (sorry, I don't have the part number handy...)

Check the wires themselves - sometimes, vibration can loosen the spade connectors that are used in there, and that can cause an intermittent or failed connection. It's rare (I've seen it once in 28 years,) but it's possible.

LT XJ said:
sometimes my 94 XJ does about the same thing. I thought maybe it was the starter, put in a new one, still happens, just not as often. I find that if I put it in neutral and try again, it will start right up. I'm no electrician, but for some reason it works for me.
Probably a NSS in your case, I have a manual, but my 98 did that and I cleaned the NSS, no problem since.

My NSS is going to crap in my 91 XJ. I have to hold the key in the start postition with my left hand through the steering wheel and wiggle the shifter back towards reverse to start it. The acc doesn't work either when this occurs (about 45-55% of starts). I call it my "secret squirrel theft deterrent" :eyes:

Back