• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tracbar bracket?

bcsavage

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I just bought this XJ and on the drive home it was pretty scary but I didn't have time to do an inspection before I left with it. Now that it's home I've had a closer look and found some problems. The one I'm not sure how to deal with is the trackbar bracket. here's the pic...

DSCF0012.jpg

see that hole with no bolt? there is no corrosponding hole to put a bolt in. and it's moving when I steer causeing sever slop. So do I drill a hole and bolt it? how do I align the bracket to mark for the hole. Gotta get this solved this weekend so quick replies are a must. Thanks.

I'm replying to this without seeing the picture (it wouldn't load), so if I'm way off i apologize.

I just installed my lift this past week. It came with a drop bracket for the trackbar. There was a hole in the bracket with no hole on the original mount. You simply have to drill a hole and install a bolt. The bracket should slide (with some coaxing) all the way up until its flush inside the original trackbar mount (basically parrallel with the axle). If this doesn't help I'm sorry, but like I said, no picture. Good luck!

ok that's all I needed to know was if I had to rotate it all the way up or if it had to be somewhere in between. Only one chance to drill the hole in the right spot and I don't want to mess it up.

ok, lets add to the dumb questions. I just went and looked cause the seller said it had an RE trackbar. And it's adjustable. So why would there be a drop bracket on the axle if the trackbar can just be adjusted to length?

Heres the thing... I have the exact same bracket... my 96 had a hole already... my 99 did not.. Its not hard to drill the second hole and put a bolt in it. That will stop the death wobble.

um, well to me it doesn't seem that hard to remove the bracket MetViper, unless you are thinking of the upper frame drop bracket (which I don't have). As for drilling that hole, it's not TOO big of a deal, just once the bracket is at the right spot the hole is a bit behind the front flange. So I do want the bracket? Something about the trackbar should run parallel to the drag-link? If that's the case, I'd want to keep the bracket because as you can see they're almost dead on right now whereas if I remove the bracket it's going to put the trackbar at a more horizontal angle.

Also, that isn't an RE trackbar is it? It's black, not Grey. My brother was just here and he says that's the stock bar but I thought the stock one didn't have any adjustability.. *shrug* I've got a few other things to take care of right now too (drivers rear shock upper mount bolts are snapped off, gotta find a replacement bolt for one of my disco's...the list goes on).

This is my first 4X4, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. You guys are great, thanks in advance.

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

and 5/8" from centerline of existing hole to centerline of new hole? there is no existing hole :p and considering it's a 3/8" hole (or close to) moving 5/8" CL to CL doesn't give much material in between the two :S

too long, how do you mean? If anything, my axle might be sitting to one side.

I'm confused. The drop bracket has a hole. The place the stock trackbar mounts has no corrosponding hole. Is it still a matter of getting the bracket to rotate up as high as it goes and drilling a hole? I'm thinking I'll just drop the bracket out and see how it is. Can always put it back in if it's still wonky.

Another vote for removing it. It doesn't look necessary, and it also looks like a nasty catch point. I'm pretty sure that's not a stock trackbar. Not sure what it is, but it's not stock.

Back