• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel hop...

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
i spend most of my offroad time in loose to mid pack sand, glamis specifically, and im getting alot of wheel hop when i lay into the gas trying to make it up steep hills, mostly in 4low. i was thinking it might be caused by axle wrap but i cant say for sure. any ideas on what it might be or how to stop it?

thanks!

What condition are your leaf springs in and what brand are they?

Kyung

GrimmJeeper said:
brand new before the last trip, rancho 3.5's with drop shackles.
I had a set of those raunchos that I bought new a few years back when I first got my xj. They wrapped on mine and it had never done any real wheeling. Just street driving with a heavy foot. In my opinion, they are crap and I'm sure it has something, if not everything, to do with your wheel hop.

Kyung

so any suggestions on a better set of springs? the only reason i like the ranchos is they arent too stiff, i guess thats my whole problem tho.... what about a set of traction bars? would that effect my axle travel at all? im thinking of running some shock hoops up thru the back, and running long travel shocks.. would that help at all?

thanks for the help!

I'd just get some RE or National leafs. The shock hoops arent necessary unless you are really into desert racing or going for maximum travel for rock crawling.

Quality shocks like Bilsteins (nothing like ProCrap) can make a huge difference as well. Quality leafs in conjunction with good shocks should eliminate many issues. A traction bar could make a difference as well.

-Avery

Wheel hop is good for breaking stuff too. I used to get some of that, my cheap set of RE leafs and some 5150 bilsteins fixed it real nice.
KH

Back