• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do some Jeeps not have ABS?

1995XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
I have the original window sticker to my 95 XJ Sport 4x4 and it doesnt list ABS anywhere on the thing. Also, i have locked up these breaks plenty of times in snow (intentionally).

Was there actually Jeeps being produced without ABS in 1995?

ABS has been optional for over 15 years at least, not sure you really want it though if your a good driver.

You won't find it in a police car.

langer1 said:
ABS has been optional for over 15 years at least, not sure you really want it though if your a good driver.

I know I don't want it - there are some things I can do without ABS that I can't do with it.

Granted, I find front-wheel drive limiting in much the same way...

Ya, 99 with no ABS. I quite frankly don't see the use for it, but then again, I'm only on my first vehicle so I really haven't gotten to experience ABS.

my 96 sport doesnt have it, it can be kinda nice in the winters around here, but other than that its usless. if you know how to drive a vehicle without it then you wil never need it, some people cant figure out how to keep the tires from locking up on ice.

langer1 said:

Umm, every police car I've seen recently has ABS... Ford, Chevy and Dodge

Later,
Joe

No ABS in my '01, one of the reasons I bought it. A coworkers '05 Rubi has no ABs as well. ABS sucks for offroading anyways. Jeep seems to be the only people that know this.

none of mine have had it, 88-94-96-97

I've had 2 chevy blazers with it and it actually takes longer to stop,it makes crappy groaning noises, and its a ton of $ to fix.. but because the wheels aren't locked your suppose to be able to steer around obstables, I personally like having control of my brakes

Most of the time when something jumps out at you so you need to jam the brakes a lot of people aren't thinking of cutting the wheel

ABS in snow really sucks IMO, with a good set of tires locking the wheels lets the tires bite into the snow so you can stop

ABS also gets you the D35 axle does it not?

my 95 didn't have it, and my 98 doesn't have it. I've lost it on ice covered roads around here before and I have been able to regain control of the jeep without any assistance. Thanks anyways jeep.

Off-road ABS
Some off-roaders turn ABS off to improve braking, for example by removing the ABS fuse. Is this reasonable? Not on hard surfaces. But on surfaces with moveable material, e.g. snow, gravel, lose dirt, a locked wheel can build a wedge in front of it and thus increase grip and reduce stopping distances. A typical traction coefficient on a lose surface, with ABS modulated wheels, is 0.2 and it can rise up to 0.3 with complete lock.
How does the M-Class off-road ABS program work?
On road surfaces with good traction it works in the same manner as Mercedes passenger cars. But when off-road in low range, the ML can change into an off-road ABS mode if it detects rough road conditions by sensing uneven wheel rotation and the speed is below 30 km/h - 18.5 MPH. The brake apply phase is lengthened so the front wheels can "dig in". At higher speeds the off-road situation is also monitored, but it wont change into the off-road ABS mode until the speed drops below the limit.
Australian off-road ABS mode
Australian gravel roads turned out to be so smooth that the system would not reliably detect offroad conditions from jerky wheel motions. So in 2004 Bosch engineers in Australia developed a new optional algorithm especially for these conditions. Wheel slip is allowed to lengthen from the usual 10% to 40% on gravel, also depending on whether the car is in a curve. Why didn't ABS work when I slowly slid down my plowed driveway?
ABS doesn't work under 5 MPH / 8 km/h and allows wheel lock, similar to the off-road ABS mode.

ABS or not depends on the rear axle. the 8.25 and D44 did not have it. The D35's all have ABS unless someone has removed it.

my 98 has ABS with a d35. I see both sides of the wall here. my first 2 XJs did not have it. there have been times that I wish I had it and times when i have been happy to not have it. ABS is the only reason I'm not on my 4th XJ. had a car slam on its brakes 20ft ahead of me. we all know how fast a lifted XJ stops. the ABS allowed me to jump the curb and not crush the neon....

Back