• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Reinforcement Plate

Tom R.

NAXJA Forum User
Are all steering box frame braces pretty much the same? I know of only two manufacturers: C-ROK and JKS. Any others?

JKS claims there's a noticeable improvement in steering response and feel with their plate, but is this true only if you run the extra kit for the passenger side chassis rail?

My chief hesitation with JKS is that it's designed to be welded on. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's beyond the scope of my skills, which means paying a shop to do it for me.

Tom R. said:
JKS claims there's a noticeable improvement in steering response and feel with their plate, but is this true only if you run the extra kit for the passenger side chassis rail?

Yes, there is an improvement in steering feel and response. I have the passenger side done as well although I only did it for a bumper mount.
No experience with the bolt on options.

I'm thinking about using the "76" box I have from an '80 Wagoneer. (4 bolt with factory drop arm) Wonder if the stock box reinforcing braces will work with it?

i made one when i built my bumper (bolt on) and i cant say i saw in improvement in steering, although, my steering box is shot. but it does stiffen up that part of the unibody and disperses the stress on the "frame"

I ripped the frame rail at the top box bolt. Once the sheet metal goes, welding is the only option. I called Rusty's Offroad and had Rusty make me a set of plates. Innners and outters for both sides. They are 3/16's plate with rosette holes in them. Took a good while to weld them in, but the front clip is much stonger, of course it fixed the steering, and gave a place to build from for the front bumper, fender tubes and tie in to the cage.

Point is, bite the bullet and weld it up.

Back