• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 SWAP OUT

First question I have is why? 1.The 242 is know to be weaker then the 231. 2. there is vary little in the aftermarket for the 242.

With that said....
I did the reverse of your swap. I streached the chain in a 242 that was rebuilt 20,000 miles earlier. The caustions I was told at the time was to watch the input spline count. Other then that I had no issues at all. Was a direct bolt in. Didn't even adjust the shift linkage

The 231 does have more aftermarket support however the np231 does not have a center differential which is why you should NOT engage the np231 on pavement. so it is a 4x4 for offroad purposes only (because it locks the front and the rear driveshaft to spin at the same speed). Since the np 242 does have a center diff, you can drive it around town in 4wd and most would agree that it is a nice benefit for poor road conditions.
This install has been summed up before with lots of great info, check it out.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65090&highlight=np231

Back