• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spring over rear axle - good or bad idea

ireding

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for an XJ to buy in the Kansas. I heard of one for sale that claimed to get 3" of lift on the rear axle with a spring over conversion. I've never heard of a spring over before on an XJ. I know spring overs have its good points and bad points on Wranglers. Is it a good idea or bad idea on an XJ???

hmm sounds like the owner doesnt know what he has. Before i spent one minute driving there i would ask for some pics of the suspension. It will be SOA but the fact he doesnt know what he has .. he thinks its a conversion worries me. Is it even an XJ cherokee ? Maybe a fullsize ? It confuses the jerks at the national know nothing auto parts store ... "cherokee" confuses the crap outta people. Doesnt help that cherokee and comanche are both indian tribes either ... maybe he flip floped those two names.

Last edited:
say it was an mj/comanche. would it be a bad thing to do? I just bought an 88 mj 4.0 5-speed and was thinking of dosing this as a cheap lift. obvously I'd do the upgradges to the front end with new springs,shocks, etc. thanks.

ifixit8 said:
say it was an mj/comanche. would it be a bad thing to do? I just bought an 88 mj 4.0 5-speed and was thinking of dosing this as a cheap lift. obvously I'd do the upgradges to the front end with new springs,shocks, etc. thanks.

It's the best option if you're looking for about 5" or more... Other than a coil/link setup.

Back