• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom or Stock exhaust

So, for about the same price, I can either order parts for a stock exhaust system from Quadratek or go to my local shop and have a flowmaster installed. To get to the shop (should I decide to go that route) I'll need to put on the old system so the cops stay off my ass. Given that, what would you do?

I have very little mechanically inclined bones in my body, and the ones that are I haven't found yet...
that said I put everything but my new headers on for my new exhuast system.
order a new flowmaster (cat bak system from Rusty's is cheap) and it is very easy to do yourself with minimal tools.
after installing my 2000+ intake manifold I realized how simple it would have been to swap in the new headers I ordered with the cat bak.
what would I do?
I would order the parts I want (not stock if your looking for any kind of gains or sound changes) and install them yourself. save some money and gain a sense of accomplishment...

yeah, that feels nice now doesn't it????

No problem with the do-it-yourself routine since I've twisted every nut and bolt already. Are the Catbacks straight bolt-ons? Magnaflows? If I need welding, I'll just take it in, since the price is about the same as if I order it (in fact, come to think of it, with high-pro cat and Magnaflow its cheaper to have the shop do it).

Get a 2.5" cat-back kit. You can install or your muffler shop. I would not get the Flowmaster as it makes your cab rattle. I have the Dynomx and like it. If you want rumble go with the Flowmaster.

With the Flowmaster I think it depends on which one you get, 40 or 50 series and a few other choices on those too.
I have the 50 series Delta Flow, I don't find it too loud, unless my windows are down, radio is off and there are buildings close to the road to reflect the sound back.
But there are lots of options out there to choose from to fit your needs.

I got the delta 40 catback system from rusty's and absolutely love it. Was very easy to install sounds great. I'm glad I chose the Delta series vs the regular series, so i can actually still listen to the radio or carry a conversation inside, yet i can still hear the exhaust, and it sounds great on the outside.

My only word of caution is when I got mine, there is a piece that connects from just out of the cat. converter to the beginning of the muffler so that the rest of the exhaust lines up properly. Somebody at Rusty's cut mine 1" to short and I had to go out in the middle of installing it and get some pipe from Napa and cut it to the length i needed.

Back