• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are all standard rotation d44 gearsets the same?

danny boy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all ,
I haven't posted for a while, but again find myself needing the wisdom of naxja.

My question is this: I've found a good used gearset to replace the blown ring and pinion in my rear xj d44, but its from an f150. its a standard rotation. Will it work in an 87 d44 from an xj? I asked the seller if there were any difference and he said if i had the tag from the axle, he could tell me. I lost that tag long ago so if anyone can either answer my question outright or tell me what info the tag might have had that is jeep specific, it would really help.

thanks for the help,
danny

Standard rotation should work...YES

Reverse rotation is for High Pinion.

Not sure on the ford to jeep D44 thing though for the R&P. Call Reider Racing or Precision Gear and ask them. They would know for certain.

Personally, I won't buy used gears...new ones are cheap....and old ones are likely to whine.

Bouncy said:
Standard rotation should work...YES

Reverse rotation is for High Pinion.

[asshole]They're all standard rotation; they turn the same way. High-pinion gears are "reverse spiral" only, and not "reverse cut" or "reverse rotation". :) [/asshole]

Yeah they'll work, but you will need to do the gear setup all over again, and they'll probably be noisy if you don't get it spot on.

To the original poster: I have a set of 3.55 gears from an XJ D44 you can have for cheap, if you want.

Back