• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np 231 w/ sye noise

dirtdogger17

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

95/4.0L/AW-4/np 231/super 30/scout 44/6"/285s ....I just changed out my wheel bearings thinking they were making the noise. They were bad, but the noise is still there after replacement.Then I thought my calipers were hitting my rotors..they were ok. It now looks like a transfer case noise. No play in any of the u-joints, axle or driveshafts. Fluids t-case and in differentials newly topped off. AW-4 was rebuilt about 25k ago so its not the tranny..I took off the front driveshaft and theres alot of play in the front output yoke while the t-case is in 4-hi..maybe a quarter of an inch or more. When I put the transfer case in neutral it spun fairly freely..didn't hear the chain slap against the case though. When we put the AA SYE on this past summer, the chain and the rest of the internals looked good. The noise is worst under acceleration. "Like a baseball card in a bicycle spoke, but metallic" is the best way to explain the noise..4Hi 4Lo and 2Hi all worked..drove it to school today without the front driveshaft and it still made the noise..affected acceleration alot..is it time for a complete re-build or could it be just the front output yoke?

Back