• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

old jeep and what to do

jmeloxj

NAXJA Forum User
i jus wanted to get a general idea of what yall would do if yall were in my suitation with this xj. its a 96 xj new eng tranny and trans case, 4inch lift with 33 i picked up for 1800 (i already have a 2000 xj with 7 and 33 but its real clean and not paided off)i jus want to know what yall would do to the 96 xj on a low cost line to make it jus a trail rig and jus to beat on so that i i dont have to take the other one and tear it up so if yall had it what would you do to it?

heres mine... about as low budget as you can get! $500 for the jeeps, 33" boggers and wheels were $350, lift i got for free. if i could do it over again i would prolly send some time on building some type of exo cage on it and custom bumpers... theres no use in it now but if and when i do build another one, thatll be one of the 1st things i do! mite as well gut all the carpet in youres too, its alot easier to just stick the water hose in it when cleaning the interior...

jeep-1.jpg

This really belongs in modified tech if 'chop, cage, 1 ton axles, and boatsides' isn't the answer you're looking for. this would not fit your budget constraints.

But I'll answer anyways because I'm bored:

It depends a lot on what types of trail riding you normally do...

If it's just mud which is pretty much all there is in eastern NC, Weld the rear and lock the front slap some spacers and a big shackle on it to keep to body out of the goop, pull the carpet for easy cleanup and let 'er rip.

for a street driven rig that will see some time in the rocks, rocker protection, transfer case and gas tank skids will be in order, then put a lock right front and rear, trim the bejeezus out of the fenders and start collecting spare parts; axleshafts, tires, steering and control arms, and you're set.

In either case tow points at either end and well maintained mechanical components in good working order are a must.

Last edited:
7 inch lift on street only rig? why?

My DD is stock with 215's, all the doors on, carpet, stereo, power options.....comfortable.

Back