• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clickety-clack

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
When I'm driving at under about 30 I can hear a kind of clickety-clack from the underside, front end. Has nothing to do with RPM, it's all about wheel speed. When I get up to hiway speed it's either too fast to hear or goes away.

So, I'm thinking:
1.) something with the brakes (which work fine and were done about 6 mos. ago)
2.) U-joints?
3.) I dunno.

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

90 XJ Laredo 4.0
3.5" UP 31x10.5's

first check the u-joints, then check the hub bearing assemblies for play. hopefully its just u-joints, as the hub bearing assemblies aren't cheap.

Y our in luck if its a clickety-clack then it should just be the U-joints in the front axle. If it was clickety-clang it could be serious.:roflmao:

ParadiseXJ said:
When I'm driving at under about 30 I can hear a kind of clickety-clack from the underside, front end. Has nothing to do with RPM, it's all about wheel speed. When I get up to hiway speed it's either too fast to hear or goes away.

So, I'm thinking:
1.) something with the brakes (which work fine and were done about 6 mos. ago)
2.) U-joints?
3.) I dunno.

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

90 XJ Laredo 4.0
3.5" UP 31x10.5's

mine was doing that except it sounded like the rear and it was a bad u-joint at the one closet to the rear axle. It was completey wasted. I jacked the rear off the ground and watched the play right at that joint but if you think is the move the front DS and see if there is play in the axle joints fix if not take front DS out and work on from there

OK,
The u-joint job is done. Not too much of a PITA other than the fact that I got rained/snowed on all day. The vise/press tool worked great and also gave me a chance to change the front diff oil and now know how it's done. Also got a good look at the ball joints and hub assembly, won't need to do those until way down the road.

No more clicking, 4X works great as we got snow dumped on us yesterday and had 0 problems as the rest of the road was littered with cars in ditches.

Also upgraded u-bolts in back from the last lift and still have room for another 2". Fender trimming job this weekend. Never ending project.

Back