• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendation for intake? Exhaust?

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my 2000 XJ and wondering how to bring up the gas mileage a bit. The muffler needs replacing soon, and I was looking at cat back systems. I don't see the sense in getting a 2.25" cat back, I'd like to go 2.5" Two concerns: 1) I don't want a 4" outlet "fart pipe." They are ridiculous, and 2) I probably want to put a hitch on eventually, and some of the aftermarket systems could interfere with that, apparently.

Also looking for a good high flow air intake.

Anyone got any experiences?

Thanks!

Tom

MJTJ(XJ)NJ

Right track

Well you are on the right track. Make sure you tires are running at recommended air pressure. Some folks say the split fire plugs help too, but I never noticed a difference and have since went back to champions. Easy on the skinny pedal would be the number one issue in my case.

For intake, take a look at AEM and their dry filter elements.

I was at advanced auto the other day and saw an AEM dryflow filter for less then $40. You could buy a cheap intake on ebay with a heat shroud and throw that on there and be good.

So, I should go with an open element cleaner, and disconnect the vacuum hot air solenoid? Is that bad for the engine when it's cold?

Last edited:
Leave the hot air solenoid in place, you live in cold country...in fact...dont mess with the intake at all....using a "tube" and "shield" and a "cone"...you will be getting HOT air from the engine compartment...put in a new standard air filter...once the engine warms up you will be getting cold air from behind the grille area..make sure the tune-up is fresh and in good operation....the cat back will make some small difference....and like Boise said...tire pressure, and drive easy...The XJ is not exactly the ideal high MPG vehicle to begin with...and when you service the diffs and tranny and tc....use synthetic lube.

Back