• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR STEERING

GreenbeltXJ

ACTUAL WHEELER
some people were asking or were interested in the JCR 1ton steering. i got mine in yesterday and decided i would post up some comparison pics.
they are 1 1/2 DOM .250 inside thickness with 1ton tie rod ends, so you need to ream you knuckles and pitman arm. they are on sale rite now too. $294 shipped to silverdale.
steering001.jpg

steering002.jpg

steering003.jpg

i'm not any more, i'm buying matts axles and steering remember. and i already sold these.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that, How silly of me. Do you still have to ream your Knuckles for matts steering setup? doesnt his use 3/4 ton TRE's too?

Blkxjkrawler said:
Oh yeah, I forgot all about that, How silly of me. Do you still have to ream your Knuckles for matts steering setup? doesnt his use 3/4 ton TRE's too?

Ryan!!!! Are you awake :twak:

Think about what you just asked:twak:

Michael

GreenbeltXJ said:
i'm not any more, i'm buying matts axles and steering remember. and i already sold these.

i still have to do the pitman arm though.

2xtreme said:
Ryan!!!! Are you awake :twak:

Think about what you just asked:twak:

Michael

HAHAHAHA

I will be building/selling my own setup VERY similar to the JCR setup very soon.

Is JCR including the little washer/spacer thingy's to keep the tie rod from rotating and causing the dead spot in the center?

J

Quiet, the both of you's. By ream I meant scrape, as in Arent you going to scrape your Knuckles when you put the axles in. yeah thats it...
:anon:

not sure what your talking about but it does have a spacer thing on the tie rod that the center link attached to (see 2nd pic)

Avanteone said:
HAHAHAHA

I will be building/selling my own setup VERY similar to the JCR setup very soon.

Is JCR including the little washer/spacer thingy's to keep the tie rod from rotating and causing the dead spot in the center?

J
Stop laughing at me, I'm doing another head job on a 6 liter F350, so I'm a little punch drunk from work today:looney:
yes John, they do have a poly spacer that keeps the Tie rod from rolling.

Got an ETA and price yet? I'm in the market in the next month or so.

Avanteone said:

J

Will this be the same or similar to what you had when you were running a D30? I've been meaning to ask you ho well your old steering held up and how it drove on the road. I have the Currie steering and everything is stout except the TRE's which I keep going through.

The setup that I fabbed (that's on Matt's rig NOW, getting ready to be transplanted soon) is basically just like that JCR setup, minus the little poly spacer to keep the tie rod from rotating. Any idea where I could buy JUST that? Or do you (whoever is now in posession of that JCR setup) wanna loan it to me so I can check it out and have the shop next door to me make 'em? I think I can duplicate it for less that the JCR setup. They're using basically chevy TRE's (same as I did).... I prefer to use a Waggy TRE at the pitman arm as it allows for more droop and operating angle than the chevy unit that they are using, though.

John

this is cody, i have the JCR setup i can bring it down on saturday.

I don't understand why you guys would want to use other TRE's? Why not go to Heims?

Tell me I am off my rocker:
1. TRE's are more expensive and seem to get worn out regularly
2. TRE's need special tools to ream each of the arms for the new size
3. TRE's are more difficult to carry spares (you need 3 different ones and they are large
4. The TRE's are longer (larger week point than a Heim)
5. That steering is still UTK, why not make it OTK

Why not make that set up with a OTK and Heims for (I am guessing now, it has been a long time since I checked these prices) ~$100 less?

What am I missing?

Michael

2xtreme said:
I don't understand why you guys would want to use other TRE's? Why not go to Heims?

Tell me I am off my rocker:
1. TRE's are more expensive and seem to get worn out regularly
2. TRE's need special tools to ream each of the arms for the new size
3. TRE's are more difficult to carry spares (you need 3 different ones and they are large
4. The TRE's are longer (larger week point than a Heim)
5. That steering is still UTK, why not make it OTK

Why not make that set up with a OTK and Heims for (I am guessing now, it has been a long time since I checked these prices) ~$100 less?

What am I missing?

Michael

1) TRE's are NOT more expensive than a high quality Heim.
2) Not really a "special" tool.... the reamers are like $40 and a good addition to any tool box, in my opinion.
3) The TRE's used are from like '74-'87 Chevy pickups, ANY auto parts store will have them in stock. And as stated in #1, they are less expensive so not a big deal to have extras... or you could go get the whole set from a wrecking yard for probably under $20 to carry as spares. Try walking into a Schucks or Napa in BFE somewhere looking for a 7/8" left hand thread Heim joint. :)
4) I'm going to experiement /w OTK. I tried it once before and couldn't make it clear the coil buckets, track bar mount, etc.... but I've got a couple of more ideas this time.

John

Avanteone said:
1) TRE's are NOT more expensive than a high quality Heim.
2) Not really a "special" tool.... the reamers are like $40 and a good addition to any tool box, in my opinion.
3) The TRE's used are from like '74-'87 Chevy pickups, ANY auto parts store will have them in stock. And as stated in #1, they are less expensive so not a big deal to have extras... or you could go get the whole set from a wrecking yard for probably under $20 to carry as spares. Try walking into a Schucks or Napa in BFE somewhere looking for a 7/8" left hand thread Heim joint. :)
4) I'm going to experiement /w OTK. I tried it once before and couldn't make it clear the coil buckets, track bar mount, etc.... but I've got a couple of more ideas this time.
John

1) well, maybe things have changed, or maybe these TRE's are different than was I was looking at (I remember looking for Dodge and Ford, but not sure about Chevy). Decent Heims are not expensive though.
2) Heims are not parts store items, so I agree you should carry spares, but they are inexpensive and easy to get reasonably quickly. I had difficulty getting TRE's in stock at any 1 parts store for the applications I looked at, but I agree they are easier to find then Heims quickly.
3) I agree, that is why I bought spars to carry with me. On the other hand I have never seen a Heim fail catastrophically (case failing) but I have seen several TRE's fail so that they had to be replaced on the trail or a makeshift trail fix had to be used.
4) I know that OTK is much more difficult without moving the TB mount. To be honest, I am surprised that with the 1.5" DOM it doesn't hit the TB Lower mount bolt, and the diff cover skid? Mine is 1" solid and even my right had turn is limited due to the TB Lower mount bolt?
5) The other thing I like about Heims is that they are easy to remove/replace to work on items where the steering is in the way (I hate removing TRE's). And I didn't want to buy the Tapered Reamer.

Both the JCR and John's Steering set-ups are execellent upgrades over stock steering and I have seen both work very well on the trail. I only broght up these comments for good tech and discussion. I still like my heims:)

Michael

2xtreme said:
What am I missing?

Michael

The boat. :D

Have to concur with John on this one. I've received, for example, more complaints about Skyjacker and RE components that use heims than I have ANYTHING else. I steer clear of selling products that use them. Heims are excellent for literal off road, race, and agricultural applications. Everyone I know who has used heims for custom steering applications, ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive heim, have all regretted it in the end. They wear out much faster, tend to cost more for the 'good' ones, and make a lot of noise. They solve problems for many applications as far as fitment, but it's at a price. :wierd:

Back