• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Help

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Newbie question i tried searching but didn't find much. I was told that gears in the front and rear axles don't have to match as long as they are with in 0.02 of each other. The reason why I'm asking is that I have a dana 30 with 3.55's and i recently picked up a rear dana 44 out of an 87 XJ with 3.54 gears and i dont have the money to regear at this point. So has anybody tried this or was the guy who told me this just bullshiting me?

different axles have different sized ring gears and pinion gears. you get the gear ratio by dividing the number of teeth in the ring gear by the number of teeth in the pinion gear.

since you have to have a whole number of teeth, and all axles have different size gears it comes down to being pretty close. 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56 are all pretty common and you will see variants like 3.54, 4.11 and the like..

-Tim

Back