• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some help making a decision

teamdescent

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj /w 5ish in. lift on 33's. i have not regeared, locked or done a dang thing w/ the drivetrain. it's got a 8.25 in the back and I believe a lowpinion d30? in the front. now... :) do I lock and regear the 8 1/4 or do i spend on a 8.8 out of an explorer w/ discs?. i got a quote for 2000.00 for a 8.8 regeared(4.56) w/ disc brakes and eaton e-locker as well as a high pinion housing for the front. i would have to weld the perches and space out my wheels and buy a aussie for the front. orrrr regear and lock the 8 1/4 with some sort of selectable locker(although I can't seem to find one) and maybe a aussie front?
i will probably not go any larger on the tires although i want to do a homebuilt long arm(duct tape and zip ties:eeks1:) but keep it at 5-6in if that makes a diffference.
thanks for any info and help in advance

if your not going any bigger on tires, id say stick with the 8 1/4, Ive been running 33's on mine for a while and it seems to be a really strong axle. The only disadvantage is locker selection is a little bit more limited, and 4.56's is as low as you can go. Its such a tight fit for the 4.56's in the 8 1/4 that I had to grind a little bit of a tooth off to get the center pin in. Other than that I have had no problems.

I am planing on doing the 8.8 swap, it is about an inch narrower, but it is just as strong as a dana 44, as long as you get the newer one (97-01 I think)out of an exploder, it has the bigger splined axles, and it comes with rear dics. I would try a junk yard, you could probably get a complete for around 500 bucks or so. The 8.25 is a good axle, but i think the 8.8 would be better if you can find one.

Speed_racer said:
2000 is ridiculous for any axle smaller than a duece and a half, imo.

You can get that axle all day for 200-300... locker+gears+install kiit... maybe 700?? then about 200 to have installed....

Eaton E-Locker is almost $800 in itself. Figure $160-$200 for gears and install kit. That's if you bought it yourself. Have a shop get it for you and that $1000 pricetag probably jumps to $1500. Figure $300-$500 labor.

Shop prices are a killer.

CV95XJ said:
if your not going any bigger on tires, id say stick with the 8 1/4

X2, have run 33's on mine for 6yrs w/o any problems (29 spline). I run an ARB in it w/4:56's... does the job for me.

Back