• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rot the Casbach

1995XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
Who's got rot on their floorboards of their XJ?

I just noticed a few real rusting spots underneith, particularly one large half dollar size hole that i can poke the carpet in. Its a 95.

I know XJ's have bad floorboard rot, but do people still drive them with the rot? Im just curious as to how bad the holes get.

Do a search for floorpan repair or floorpan replacement and you will see lots of pics of how bad it can get. Its usually the passenger side that rusts out first due to a leak near the blower motor, the heat from the exhaust, and a carpet that loves to soak up water.

I drove mine for 2 years like this. I since have sold it and purchased a solid 98 clclassic

100_1580.jpg

100_1401.jpg

100_1403.jpg

1995XJSport said:
Im just curious as to how bad the holes get.

Well, rust will continue to spread to any surrounding steel.

I live in Florida, but I bought a Cherokee that spent most of its life in Ohio.

As to how bad they get, here's what happens if you neglect fixing the cancer (and this is, by no means, the worst):

rustedfloor.JPG

I'm in the middle of replacing my entire pan. XJ Floor Pan Rusted Floors FAQ - Page 8 -

It's been much more of a PITA than I imagined. I just want to wheel again, but it looks like it'll be a little while before that'll happen.

When I was 16, I bought a VW that had badly rotted floors and I went through the hassle of fixing/replacing them. But even then, there was cancerous rust in other places I couldn't get to. No matter what other things I did on that car ... rebuilt the motor, upgraded parts, etc ... there was still that cancer eating away.

Since then, I've never bought another rusted car again. Whenever I buy a used car, I crawl underneath it to give it a thorough inspection. If it has cancer, I don't bother with it. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. It never hurts to walk away ... another one will always come along soon enough.

I bought my '91 XJ here in Montana, and it has no rust on it, so .... tons of potential. It's so much more satisfying to work on a vehicle with no rust. You can just focus on mechanics, paint, and upgrades, and know that your efforts aren't wasted on a vehicle that's rotting away.

I'm not saying that rust cancer can't be fixed ... it's just that I prefer to spend my time on the other stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not usually one to "sell" products, but there is a product that I have had excellent luck with in terms of stopping rust dead in it's tracks.

It is called "Rust Mort" (rust mortician). It is available anywhere paint and body stuff can be purchased and is made by a company called S.E.M.

I once restored a chevy pickup, -and as most of you probably know, they are rust buckets, -even when they're not exposed to salt. I really had my work cut out. The best way to get rid of the rust is to remove the cancerous metal, -and, or blast and spray with a good epoxy primer, -but there are always places you can't easily get to. That's where the rust-mort comes in. The stuff really does work. It is able to get into places you can't mechanically strip, -and it gives a good foundation for epoxy primer, -or for non structural areas, -fiberglass.

Just thought I'd throw it out there to you guys fighting the rust wars, it works really well.

Back