• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission problem #999

CROSBIKE

NAXJA Forum User
ok i am having a minor issue with my transmission. no matter how warm or cold my engine is when i brake hard like a panic brake or unexpected braking from a high speed and go to press on the gas again to start moving again something slips for a second or two then it seems to kick into gear. Now if i rev the engine and have my foot on the brake i can get it to kick into gear without a sudden jolt. It only happens in the scenarios that i mention so its not often but i was wondering if there is anyone who knew why it happened. any info would be great.

by the way its a 94 sport 4x4 aw4 with np231 and dana 35. 4.0l

Sounds normal to me. The torque converter unlocks when you hit the brakes, accelerate hard, or let all the way off the gas. It'll rev a little higher until it locks again. You can get it to unlock by driving normal and tap the brake pedal with your left foot and it'll jump a few hundred rpm for a few second.

Back