• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle gears

chopperz

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 01 and 33's on it and i want to put different gears in it because it gets a little slugish on hills. its a daily driver and all i use it for is hunting(mud and snow) no rock climbing. so i wanted to keep the stock axles which are a dana 30 up front and a dana 35 in back. the stock gears in it now are 3.55's and i want to put at least 4.10's or 4.56's in it. i went to a local trans shop and they told me i would have to put new carriers on the axles for the gears. the carriers where about $300.00 each, is this true. any suggestions. thanks

Correction, you will only need a new front carrier if you have 3.55 stock gears. The carrier break for a 35 is 3.55 and numerically higher.

Find a non abs model with a 4 banger (4.10 gears) from 97-99 and swap the axles. Be ALOT cheaper in the long run. You will get a HP30 instead of your LP30, stronger, better driveshaft angles, more clearance.

The rear will be a 29 spline 8.25 which is good for up to 35's.

Don't bother wasting your $ on the LP front and the turdy5.

why non abs? my jeep now has abs

ponyracer1 said:
Find a non abs model with a 4 banger (4.10 gears) from 97-99 and swap the axles. Be ALOT cheaper in the long run. You will get a HP30 instead of your LP30, stronger, better driveshaft angles, more clearance.

The rear will be a 29 spline 8.25 which is good for up to 35's.

Don't bother wasting your $ on the LP front and the turdy5.

Like Matt said carriers are cheap. The reason this shop is charging you 300 bucks is because if they change carriers the will actually have to do a ring and pinion setup. They can't slap in new gears check it for gross misalignment and call it good. This is the same kind of shop that will tell you that it will whine and make noise for a while till the gears break in. Ever hear a new car or truck with gear noise? No, find a different shop if one of the obove sugestions above doesn't suit your fancy. Good luck!

Back