• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ soft top

norcalsnow

NAXJA Forum User
I searched around and saw a lot of chopped xj's but none with removable softops. My first thought was to try and convert a yj softop, but the measurements werent even close.I found this pic on another website and and was wondering how i would go about making one of these, or if i should have a shop sew one up for me??? any ideas... (THIS IS NOT MY XJ)
xj0171.jpg

xj0175.jpg

xj0177.jpg

I absolutely love that! I wouldn’t think it would be that hard, looks like they just had someone make up a custom top and snapped it into place. Wouldn’t think it would be that hard, not if you have the skill to chop the top and tub it properly.

No pix of mine handy....but you need to go to a shop that does custom convertables and have them do it. They will have the proper snaps and channels to make it look good and be weatherproof.

Rev

luvherinmyjeep32 said:
there made custom for boats pretty often so maybe try a custom boat store if all else fails.

You can try.....BUT.

I tried 3 different marine top places and they all said no. The common comment was they did not have the tools or talent to make it weatherproof on the road.

Rev

no kidding... at least my excuse is actually binding by law... wife instead of girlfriend

there was a thread called "convertible xjs" or something like that in the advanced fab forum. There was a really good looking pic of a yellow (i think) cherokee with a soft top. Apparently they had modified a ford ranger soft tonneau cover to fit on the roof. I assume they used some of the bed rails from a ranger, modified to fit, to attach the tonneau to. I think it was probably weatherproof. Either way, it was the best looking soft top i had ever seen on an XJ. They had just the roof section cut out, not the A, B, C, D pillars, or the roof halo connecting them all. I think it was tubed inside. But it looked damn good.

good luck i love soft top XJs

luvherinmyjeep32 said:
there made custom for boats pretty often so maybe try a custom boat store if all else fails.

right on. There is a million shops here in detroit that could make you anything for a boat cover. They dont care its not on a boat, go talk to a few shops and find one that will takle a dirty old jeep and your set.

Rev Den said:
You can try.....BUT.

I tried 3 different marine top places and they all said no. The common comment was they did not have the tools or talent to make it weatherproof on the road.
Rev

Amazing, imagine turning down business, as for talent, guess finding someone who can cut material, squeeze buttons together and do a bit of sewing must be hard to find out your way.
You need more Tijuana immigrants out there, some of those shops do absolutely fantastic interiors and tops I had ever seen, cheap too...

My guess is their custom tops come in cardboard boxes and the custom part might be ironing on a 'custom label'....

I watched a local craftsman up in Rock Harbor cape cod who had a bunch of covers to do and fix on some of the charterboats, he had a table at the head of the pier on wheels, he'd move down the pier, make the cover and then on to the next one makiing trips back to his bread truck van for supplies as needed.

This is a buddy of mine's XJ:
haspin-mudhill.jpg

back-hLot.jpg

rear-backbone.jpg

We got the materials/snaps from the local fabric store & measured his Jeep and his wife made it with her sewing machine. I think it cost around $50-75 total including the mounting hardware & material used. It is pretty darn waterproof, we used screw-in snaps to hold it on & varying "door trim" foam seals with silicone to seal water out. He made a full cage when he rimmed the rear off.

Double post, sorry!

Back