• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting the bolt out?!?!?!?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, workin on my front swaybar d/c's....how do you get the torx headed bolt outta the lower bracket on the axle to put in the lower pins for the d/c's. tired torx head bit; looks like its just pressed in. tried hammer; bent bracket some. any suggestions?????

It is pressed in however there is probably a lot of grime try pb blaster then tap it out don't slam it out... if it doesn't come get a little ingenious.

Ran into the same problem, it is pressed in there. Get someone to hold a big hammer or something heavy behind the bracket while you pount it out. Or, Get a large enough socket to fit over the torx head bold and press it out with a press or large c-clamp.

terryd said:
hey guys, workin on my front swaybar d/c's....how do you get the torx headed bolt outta the lower bracket on the axle to put in the lower pins for the d/c's. tired torx head bit; looks like its just pressed in. tried hammer; bent bracket some. any suggestions?????

I ground the head off and pressed it through... It was easier for me with the tools that I had.

Jeff

i gound mine too, and drilled through it, stuck a bolt through a socket ran it through the hole and put a nut on it, and ran the nut up untill it pulled through.

I did the same as JAS and Trailblaze - ground it off and then drilled it out on the passenger side - driver side I was able to tap out after grinding it.

It's a pain, but it was made less painless by being able to 'justify' buying myself a nice new grinder.

I couldn't get mine off today with a torch + BFH. Tried an air hammer also to no avail. I was hesitant to drill. I thought the bold might be hardened. I'll try again tomorrow. What a fun holiday weekend!

I used a 5lbs sledge and some heat. it worked great and only took afew hits, also a dead blow hammer should work too

Yeah I tried a 5lb sledge and heat with no luck. My second attempt was much more successful. I used a puller w/ pb blaster...

See pics:

If you look at the nut in the pic above, it looks all messed up. That was from my air hammer attempt. I screwed the nut on backwards and went to town. No luck with the air hammer either...

I broke an auto barn puller trying to get it out destroyed the metal straps on one side...but it does come out

lots and lots and lots of heat a pry bar and a 10lb sledge... came right out.

Back