• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella relays?

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
I have 6 hella 500 driving lights all wired through relays. 2 lights per relay. The relays are the ones that came with the kit. The problem im having is the relays dont work very good. Somtimes they work fine other times they dont work at all. Somtimes the lights will come on with the switch off..., they dont work very well. I have to mess with them to get them to work. Are these relays junk? Can i get better relays somwhere or is there a better way to wire them?

Sounds like the contacts are burning, perhaps?

You may have gotten goofy parts, but since they're standard DIN/ISO relays you can get pretty much anywhere, there's no reason you can't buy some spares, test by substitution, and have replacements on hand to sort out trouble.

If the new relays work, you're golden, and you don't have to worry anymore. If the new relays are doing the same thing, then track down a wiring fault somewhere (shonky ground?) and put the relays you aren't using in your spares box.

Since the XJ makes extensive use of DIN/ISO relays, it's not like you won't be able to use them sooner or later...

Back