• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle shims* question...

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
and yes, for you 'search nazis' I did! -nothing on what I'm asking...
anyway, late build '96 4x4, 4.0 8.25 rear end. I have true 2" front spacers and a rear 2" aal on the way to clear 30" firestone destination at's that are also oon the way. My question is, with 2 inches of lift, plus a nominal amount from the tires, what * shims, if any should I put in? If I should put them in, I want to do it while I doing the aal. I don't want to do a tc drop, may do a sye later if needed, but for now, want to go the shim route.

Last edited:
tires have no effect on pinion angle. the only thing that affects it is the distance from the pinion to the rear output on the t-case. With a 2-inch lift you should be ok, but it wouldnt hurt to get a driveshaft off of a d35 rear end, or the slip yoke from a YJ.

Your rear pinion should be the same angle as your transfer case's output shaft. If it's not, then install whatever degree of axle shim you need to make them the same.

If/when you go with a SYE, then you'll need to measure your driveshaft angle, then shim your rear pinion to be 2* less than your driveshaft's angle.

ok- I guess the YJ yoke is a bit longer? I knew RE sold a longer yoke for the XJ. What I plan to do is see if I wheel it enough to put anymore $$ into it, and if so, do the porc sye/front ds combo. Right now, I need tires bad, so i went with the 30's, then I figured I'd do the BB to give 'em room. Ok, no shims for now- thanks!!!

Back