• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Shuts Off While Cornering

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ 200K
6" lift on my little 30" BFG AT's for the winter, 34" Swampers in the summer

My Jeep handles great beleive it or not. Out handles my stock 97 Explorer any day of the week. I drive all back roads to school, so I do get on it a little bit (but only to 50 when she starts shaking).

When I get into a tight corneron the gas, 45* or better, sometimes pulling out at intersections, and I have below a half of tank of gas, it just shuts off. Feels just like the fuel cut in my 240sx. I click it into neutral and start it right back up, click it into drive and go again. Not every time, but I can tell by how hard I'm leaning weather its enough to make the Jeep shut off. And it gets worse as the gas gauge goes down. It's really starting to bother me, I'm waiting for the time it happens in town and it shuts off infront of an 18 wheeler.

Any remedy to the situation? I took off the fuel filter (in the top of the tank) last summer and cleaned the hell out of it. Back washed it with gas and put the air to it like 20 times thinking it was clogged filter. That didnt help. Is this problem just due to crappy tank/pump design or is there some sort of designed fuel cut?

i dont know if the jeep has a power stering pressure switch but that was no good in one of my cars and it would cause that exact problem i also had my budy's jeep doing the same thing but his was caused from bad gas he put fresh gas in and never happend again.

This happens to all 97+ Jeeps. I believe the 97's were actually recalled for this problem, even though the 98, 99, 2000 and 2001's were not, and it's the same friggin set up.

Happens on mine when I get below 1/4 and take a left turn too hard.

You have a fuel pump problem. Drop the tank and replace it, it may have dirty fuel filters in the tank, you may be able to get away with just new filters (it has 2, one sock and a little one inside the assembly). I had the same in my 99 XJ, replaced the pump and filters and the problem stopped. Filters were nastyyyyyy....

Not necessarily true.

I replaced the fuel pump on my previous 98 XJ, and when it got down to about 1 gallon of gas, it would still do this. The pump sits in the middle of the tank, and the filter sits at the very bottom of the tank. When you turn hard enough (or have enough body-roll, which was my case) the gas would obviously move away from the pump.

No fuel for fuel pump to pump is NOT a fuel pump's problem. You wouldn't tell someone that ran out of gas that they had a fuel pump problem, I hope...

I figured I was either starving the pump of gas and making it stall, or I was tripping some sort of roll-over sensor. My fiends 88XJ did the same thing and a new pump/filter didnt change anything.

It's a pain in the ass, because when it happened today I was just below half a tank, and every other time its been below a 1/4 tank. I'll call the dealership with my vin and check on all the recalls once again.

Does your gauge read 1/2? I found that my 98 XJ's gauge was near empty when it displayed 1/4.

How many gallons go in when you fill it up at "1/2?"

The pump is enclosed in a housing that has a one-way valve inthe bottom. This valve (little red rubber disc in the bottom of the housing) allows the fuel to be "stored" into the housing so the pump will always have a constant supply of fuel, so starving will not happen unless you park with 1gal in the tank in a 45 degree incline with the engine running. In my case, the disc was held open because the outside sock fell off so the valve cought some crap and stuck open. I did replace the filters and pump and problem went away. I also diagnosed this problem with press gage in the fuel line while replicating the conditions, turning with low gas was starving the fuel line.

All I am saying is that it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

yeah, mine does it below an 8th

Back