• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 carnage...help!

luvherinmyjeep32

NAXJA Forum User
this is what happens when you dont know what a d44 limited slip factory carrier and its clutch packs look like so you assume the packs are shim stacks and go ahead and stuff a lockright in the carrier and everything goes to hell...

so here's the gear fluid that indicated there might be a problem...

475777_370_full.jpg

that was clear fluid that went into a clean axle! now its the equivolent of metallic black paint.

got the carrier out and ground out the tac welds holding the cross shaft in place (originally held in place by c-clips).

475777_369_full.jpg

then got everything torn apart and cleaned.

475777_374_full.jpg

here's what the gasoline looked like i used to clean everything.

475777_375_full.jpg

and now here's the lockright pins...

475777_373_full.jpg

2 of the pins are half gone...i didnt look through the housing too well yet but as of now, the halves are missing... :umn:

the teath of the lockright pieces show a little bit of ware and rounding on a few teeth but nothing chipped.

475777_371_full.jpg

the piece pictured below and the other piece just like it are cracked (look at the edge between the top and side hole closest to the camera) and there is some ware in the lip of the other hole to the right.

475777_372_full.jpg

the carrier seems fine. the clutch packs look worn to hell. tomarrow ill clean out the housing and tubes. does anyone happen to have a good set of those lockright pins laying around? do you guys think the lockright is ruined. my dad is a professional welder and i think he could weld those cracks in the lockright or find someone that could. im not sure what to do here...i really liked having the locker, but id ont have the money to buy another if this one is ruined. i could rebuild the limited slip but its still not as nice as the locker. maybe i could put in a regular carrier if the lockright isnt totally trashed or i can somehow get it warrantied (ya right) but im not sure if im capable of that.

help!

oh and one of my buddies said something about there maybe being an aussie locker for the limited slip carrier? i know there's a powertax no-slip for the LS carrier but what about a cheaper lunchbox locker? just wondering...

You should be able to get a rebuild kit for the lockrite from the supplier. But with rounding on the face teeth and possible internal cracks you can see I'd pass on re-using it...........my .02

bummer dude. i hope your axle is ok.... if part of the lockright is cracked, i probly wouldnt re-use, JMHO.

how did you get the lockright in there with the LSD clutch packs in there?

-Tim

Id say give it a shot.. whats the worst that can happen??? It becomes a spool? Or slips all the time... i guess it could crack and end up breaking the ring gear...

luvherinmyjeep32 said:
i think my dads gunna try welding the lockright pieces. doesnt hurt to try...unless it all bursts into flames...

I would guess welding it would void your warrenty! I'd return it for a new one and wouldn't even try to weld it!

RalphXJ said:
I would guess welding it would void your warrenty! I'd return it for a new one and wouldn't even try to weld it!

he installed it in the wrong carrier, they will most likely not warranty it. they can tell if you dont use the thrust washers, im sure they can tell what happened. i dunno if they ask for pics, but locker/driveline companies arent dummies

-Tim

Back