• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED tail light wiring..

YeaItsSlo

NAXJA Forum User
okay, so im going getting my tail light boxes this week and wanna make sure i have the right stuff before i tackle it.. Do i need LED tail lights that have run.brake.turn? Or can i just use LED marker lights and run a run/brake/turn module? Thats what i used on my harley to convert from a 3 light system to a 2 light.. any info on this would be great :)

well I will add my experience. I converted to one light eaqch side (Stop, tail, turn) and had to get a converter to adapt the separate turn and brake (cherokee side) over to a single wire for that. Etrailer.com had it cheap.

when i did the led tail lights on my wrangler i also had to get an electronic flasher.. pepboys, like ten bucks.. you may need one also

well the wrangler might be different, cause you need more then something like a "electronic flasher". what happens is that the brake light on a one light LED is also the flasher and on a cherokee there is one wire for the flasher and a diff one for the brake lights, and then also one for the tail. So when you have the 3 wires to 2 (plus ground is actually a 3 wire) then you have to use a adaptor.

As for a wiring diagram, I cant help ya there. All I know is that I simply had to find the terns, brake adn tail wires and then tie in to them as per the adapter instructions.

if your LED's are the 3 wire (Stop/turn, tail, and ground) and you have a trailer wiring kit already on your jeep with the 4 prong plug And its wired correctly, then Yes you can just use those.

the "electronic flasher" would used to replace the factory flasher if your turn signals flash too fast... the leds dont use as much power so the stock flasher would think there is a bulb out and flash really fast. im pretty sure you will need it if its a newer xj, i read it here before

you will need a electronic flasher as well as the trailer adaptor because when you unplug your reg bulbs ( to throw the wires behind the trim panels out of the way) the flasher will think they are burnt out and will flash fast. unless you want to leave the bulbs in the stock sockets and let them burn as normal inside your rig. this is what I did on mine... bought the trailer adaptor and a 4 prong flat trailer wiring kit. plug the trailer wiring kit into the adaptor once you have spliced the adaptor into the stock wiring
that will leave you two runs or pig tails of four flat wires molded together for each side left and right side of your new led lights.
this make since?

MrMom said:
you will need a electronic flasher as well as the trailer adaptor because when you unplug your reg bulbs ( to throw the wires behind the trim panels out of the way) the flasher will think they are burnt out and will flash fast. unless you want to leave the bulbs in the stock sockets and let them burn as normal inside your rig. this is what I did on mine... bought the trailer adaptor and a 4 prong flat trailer wiring kit. plug the trailer wiring kit into the adaptor once you have spliced the adaptor into the stock wiring
that will leave you two runs or pig tails of four flat wires molded together for each side left and right side of your new led lights.
this make since?

Maybe its your 4 wire to 3 wire adaptor that is causingn your fast flasher or it to think a light is out.

Mine too are just fine with no changes front of the adapter. I cut the factor harness completly out at the drivers kick panel, and then wired in the adapter and back to my LED lights (one per side). No issues what so ever..

ROBERTK said:
Maybe its your 4 wire to 3 wire adaptor that is causingn your fast flasher or it to think a light is out.

Mine too are just fine with no changes front of the adapter. I cut the factor harness completly out at the drivers kick panel, and then wired in the adapter and back to my LED lights (one per side). No issues what so ever..
so you are using two trailer adapters?
the reason for changing the flasher has nothing to do with my adaptor.
it is becuse I am leaving the stock turn signal sockets in place with no bulbs in them. so there is no resistance in them.

MrMom said:
so you are using two trailer adapters?
the reason for changing the flasher has nothing to do with my adaptor.
it is becuse I am leaving the stock turn signal sockets in place with no bulbs in them. so there is no resistance in them.

Man you all are making this Way too complicated!

step
1) cut out your stock drivers side bulb wiring.
2) unplug your pass side harness for lights at the drivers side rear cargo cover panel.
3) Wire in ONE adapter
4) connect to new 3 wire (this is the only tricky one, 3 = ground, turn/brake, and tail).

Done...

so i have a problem, i installed a draw tite converter, and an electronic flasher, i finally got everything to work except the turns dont flash at all. they just stay lit. whats that about? even if i put the regular flasher back in, and the fuse is fine.

jacked said:
so i have a problem, i installed a draw tite converter, and an electronic flasher, i finally got everything to work except the turns dont flash at all. they just stay lit. whats that about? even if i put the regular flasher back in, and the fuse is fine.

Sounds like you have the wiring on the LED's messed..

Recheck all wiring.... Even if you think its right, Start over and recheck. ALso the wite wire form the adapter has to be grounded, you got that right?

Back