• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Grill

FiFo

NAXJA Forum User
Did all XJ's come with a Fiberglass grill or did any come with a metal grill? I know the pre-97 XJ's had fiberglass rear hatches and then in 97 they went to metal, did anything similar happen of the front end? It's kind of hard to weld to fiberglass. :)

There are fiberglass repair kits available. The 98 front end is either plastic or fiberglass not metal.

What are you trying to do that you need to "weld" fiberglass?

The front Facia is fiberglass, the actual grill and headlight bezels are plastic.

89Daytona said:
There are fiberglass repair kits available. The 98 front end is either plastic or fiberglass not metal.

What are you trying to do that you need to "weld" fiberglass?

I'm Building a front bumper to mount a Warn 8274, at the same time I'm building a role cage. It would be a lot easier to put the front end back on if it was made out of metal instead of fiberglass.

I'm not that far yet, but the build-up thread is here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=905792

You could try to make a new braket out of metal that modifies the mounting points to make it more simple to put on and remove. Maybe make it so it slides down into place and locks down with one bolt in the center. But that might be more work than its worth.

you could replace the grill with a piece of expanded metal that look something like this xxxxxxx but then you will loose the classic jeep o||||o look

Back