• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hot should a transfer case get?

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have a 242 that has seen a rough time in the past week (wheeled it pretty hard & broke the rear driveshaft on the ride home, so I corked it and rode on in front wheel drive part-time high)

This morning I had to tow the wifey's S15 junk off the side of the road, maybe 10 miles to the repair shop, then rode on 30 miles to work. It's only about 80 degrees outside, not too hot yet.

I shot the case with a laser thermometer, and getting readings of 170-180 on the rear case half, tailcone, speedo gear housing etc. This was taken after the junk sat for 10 min or so.

Is 180ish WAY too hot? seems kinda high to me, but I never shot it before to get a baseline measurement.

Heat transfer from the motor and tranny would generate that much heat.I have never measured mine,but it always seems hot ,but the fluid ,when changed yearly,is always bright red and smells fine.
My guess is your a little paranoid after the breakage.:sunshine:
Wayne

Make sure you have plenty of fluid in there. I am assuming you already fixed the breakage and are nto runiing arround in front wheel drive. When I drove mine in 2front it lost a lot of fluid even though it was coned with a bottle and duct tape. Also mine is alwas hot to the touch. Never tested ti though.

Woody,
after a quick 5 mile run to town ,the temps were TC-130*.rear-120*,Fr axle-110,CatCov-230*.This was just a easy run and the last mile was stop&go thru town.
Wayne

On my 231 I noticed that the TC was too hot to keep a hand on after a 60mi run, finally decided to change the fluid, got to the mother in laws, changed to mobil-1 and drove home later. The transfer case was barely hot...

CAT? I have not had one of those in a long time! I'll have to try the mobil 1.

Some things just make me love the south!

well I repeated my test last night on the ride home... before starting out it was 95*(very close to the ambient air temp), 30 miles later at home it was 190*. I topped the fluid off - it took a pint or so.

I brought the thermometer home with me, and this morning it was 77* prior, and 180* after the commute. Maybe this is normal :dunno:

BTW this IS running in 4-high part time (front wheel drive LOL) with the rear shaft AWOL. (I planned to put my spare shaft in Monday, but one of the cap-retention tabs on the pinion yoke got gone when the shaft took a ride.

I may be in Concord Saturday or Sunday, let me know if you need anything...

Back